Promises, Promises

The day seemed to pass by in a blur, and I then was standing at my mirror, observing my work. I was wearing another dress, it was white with shot puff sleeves, a white slip underneath and a lace overlay on top, it reached about halfway up above my knee. The back had a discreet zipper closure. I had on high heeled black mary jane type shoes, with a small platform, and my legs looked long and slim. I had let my hair air dry naturally, after I had rewashed it and it now hung loosely with waves framing my face. My hair ran down my back and reached just past my elbows. 

I had put on a little bit of red lipstick and blotted it out with a napkin to soften the color. "Beautiful," My mother sighed behind me, and I clasped my throat in surprise. 

"I didn't know you were there," I said, calming myself.

"My little, sweet girl all grown up," She said softly, "Soon you'll be eighteen." 

"I have another month or two," I reminded her, and she smiled. She walked closer to me and enveloped me in a warm hug.

She kissed the top of my forehead, then holding me at arms length, she pressed her finger to her lips, "Wait, I have something."

"I should probably go-" She held up her finger and began taking out her little diamond studded earrings. "Mom, no," I said, stumbling over my words, "You don't have to." Those were the last things that my father gave her before he died, I knew how much those meant to her.

"I never go on dates, or anywhere nice, so you should have them," She grabbed my hand and opened my unwilling fingers, setting the earrings in my palm gently and re-closing my grip. 

"Thank you," I whispered, and hugged her. I quickly put the earrings in and admired how they sparkled in the room, even in the dim light they seemed to draw the eye. 

"Now your ready," She said to me, "Go have fun, and enjoy yourself, let loose." I just rolled my eyes, and smiled at her. She stuck her tongue out at me, and I waved goodbye, pulling on my jacket and walking into the windy night. I stared up at the brilliant stars, barely visible against the bright city lights that filled the air just a little ways off. How I wanted to see them for myself, minus the lights someday.

I began walking, I know he had told me not to, but I was anxious to get this over with, and like he said, he'd find me. "Never one to follow directions," His voice sounded behind me.

"Where's the fun in that?" I joked, but it came out sounding airy and stupid. I blushed and was thankful for the dimly lit streets and the cover they provided. He held his arm out to me, and I took it after a moment's hesitation. We began walking and he started up a conversation.

"Am I allowed to get a name yet?" He asked, smiling his amused smile again.

"I don't think I've quite caught yours yet," I said, prolonging the answer and he let out a soft chuckle.

"Brody," He said, looking over at me, and then back at the sidewalks ahead. We seemed to be moving quickly, as we were almost about to reach the main streets. 

"Brilyn," I said and he smiled up at the sky. 

"Finally, she drops the mystery facade," He was being so dramatic I couldn't hold back a laugh.

"Finally, I can stop calling you a stalker," He looked at me with fake hurt on his face, but it quickly swept away and we began to laugh again. We talked for what seemed like ever, never once stopping even as we ate dinner. He took me to an Italian restaurant where we had some of the best lasagna I had ever eaten.

I would have to say, this was something I could have gotten used to. The restaurant wasn't dingy like the Grill. No smoke wafted through the dimly lit dining area, the bathroom didn't have cracked mirrors, even the toilets (eco-friendly of course) flushed themselves. The dining area was well lit and cozy. The walls dawned paintings of Italy. The leaning Tower of Pisa was in one painting, and there were so many other buildings that had historic meaning to the beautiful place covering the walls as well.