Chapter 11... Blood Snow

Yurla stared at the path Adria had walked down for a while in shock.

Was I just called a fish brain?

Yurla retreated to her room in deep thoughts of the scene she had walked in on.

Power doth maketh fools.

If the stupid slave kept mingling with the wrong people, she will be drenched in hot water very soon. Although Mustapha was her mother's trusted aide, she stayed as far as she could away from him. Her father did not trust him, so neither would she. She opened her room door and walked in to find her mother sitting majestically on her bed.

With or without a crown on her head, her mother would always be Queen. She had been made for the position.

"What do you want mother?" she asked.

Queen Yasmine turned and smiled sweetly. "Just visiting my favorite child."

"I am your only child." Yurla muttered under her breath. The sweetness of her mother's voice made her sick to her stomach.

"Your father would like to see you." she said, Yurla smiled brightly. Her father's illness was giving him a lot of reprieve, and she was glad she could at least speak to him for a while.

The mad king, was no longer mad. She couldn't wait for him to return to what he once was, so that her enemies could tremble in fear.

Yasmine smiled at her daughter, she was almost jealous of the affection her daughter had for her useless husband. "Sit." she instructed, gesturing to the spot beside her.

"Do you realize that what was once yours by right, has now been made into a mockery of the crown?" Yasmine said.

Yurla sighed, she hated that every conversation she had with her mother was always about the crown or the throne. She would rather not have her speak, than to hear her distasteful words.

"I am aware of this." Yurla said bitterly, "and I will fight for what is mine until that crown rests upon my head."

Yasmine smiled, "Remember what I told you, a Queen is not born, a Queen is made." Yurla bit her lip to stop herself from rolling her eyes, or else she would not hear the end it. "I suggest that you start thinking and acting like one, put your best and try to stay constantly above your peers." She rose and fondly touched the small diadem on her head. "I am Queen now, and I will not have some child of filth inherit this position." Yurla knew her mother's fear was that Adria would rise to be Queen, but Yurla knew otherwise, she knew the slave's personality and the girl would give it up than have that crown on her head. "I would have you meet Lady Ruby."

"The evil witch?!." she screamed. Yurla could not believe what she had just heard. Lady Ruby, the evil sorceress that had been banished to the wastelands of Valngasia, that was the person her mother wanted her to be associated with.

Yasmine's eyes flashed coldly and Yurla refused to let fear be instilled into her. "You are my heir!" she shouted, "it is time that you acted like one. Power is what you require for your quest, and power is what lady Ruby can give to you. Do not be a fool. Each Princess has found a leverage of power to use in this quest, and yet mine wallows in stupidity and ignorance, when all should tremble in your presence!"

Yurla stared at her mother. Power, that was what it has always been about. For now, she will go as her mother wished. She would see the witch. Deep down, she knew she would do anything to get the crown. She would even kill all the princesses if she had to, she was the daughter of the cold witch Queen after-all, but she hated the extremes she had to go to get what belonged to her.