:Prologue - Vault 111 and The Great War:

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind."
-John F. Kennedy

-

2077.10.23

"Good morning, ma'am!"

Oh great... Not him again...

"Vault-Tec calling!"

Standing right in front of my doorway was that annoying Vault-Tec Representative. An annoyed sigh slipped past my lips.

And I just thought he gave up.

"What do you want?" The tone in my voice sounded way more annoyed than I really was. "And why are you here this early? It's 7:30 in the morning."

"Well... You wouldn't have.... answered if I had showed up at the time I usually show up." He said with that stupid, fake smile plastered on his face. "And you have no idea how long I've been waiting to speak with you!"

Yeah, right...

"I've been trying for days." He let out a soft chuckle.

"Yeah, you've been trying for a week. And, like you, I've got a job in Boston I need to get to." My left hand grabs my single-breasted suit jacket and my right hand points to my black trousers and white dress shirt. "I'm already five minutes late. So if you-"

As I'm slipping on my jacket, that man's voice cuts through the single second of silence. "WAIT!"

"I haven't even moved... What???" My eyes threw daggers at him. His face grew red with embarrassment. Or, he found my attitude attractive. At this point, I didn't care.

His hands clapped together as he drew in a breath of air. "Ma'am, I can assure you that what I need to talk to you with is of the upmost urgency."

A sigh leaves my mouth. "Fine. I just have to call my boss and tell him I'm not coming in today."

As I turn and take a few steps forward, I find myself in front of the phone. And beside my brother. Who was asleep. Emphasis on was.

"Ellie, what's with all the noise?"

"Sorry, Jonathan. That salesman finally made contact with us. And he yelled at the top of his lungs." As I grab the phone, I raise my open hand and place it to my ear. "I feel like he busted my eardrums. Are my ears bleeding?"

Soft chuckled come from Jonathan's direction. "You not going to work?"

My eyes look at him. He was rubbing his left eye with the back of his hand and yawning. And that new haircut he got the other day caused his terrible bed head to look even worse. At least his hair is a nice shade of black. I've always hated my short, platinum blonde hair.

My eyes focus onto the phone again. "No. I have to talk to him." I nudge my head in the direction of the Vault-Tec Rep. "It's urgent."

Another series of chuckles come from Jon. "Hey, that nuclear war that they talk about might happen. It'll certainly give your mind some rest if you get that guy away from the house."

I nod my head in agreement as I push my workplace's number onto the phone.

Ring.... Ring... Ring...

The other side of the line clicked. "Hello?"

A small sigh of relief escaped my mouth. I'm just glad I'm talking to Lisa. And not... Marge... She hates my guts...