Chapter 15

Violet's POV
Two days turned into a week. I hardly ate and for some reason I recently just started throwing up my food.

I was a wreck. The gang tried to get me to leave my house, but I just couldn't. I was hurting too much.

But today was different. Sodapop called and said his letter got to Ponyboy. Dallas was going to bring them home.

I was so excited. I even showered and got all pretty. I threw on my signature clothes and made my way over to the Curtis house and I knocked on the door.

Darrel answered it, but I didn't look at him. "Come in", he mumbled. I walked past him and took a seat next to Steve on the sofa.

"So how long till they get here", I asked. "Just about an hour", Sodapop said patting my arm.

We sat and talked about how life was going, but mid-conversation I felt nauseous. I jumped up and ran to the bathroom and puked in the toilet.

It just kept coming and I felt someone pull my hair back and comfort me. "That's is doll. What's got you so sick", Two Bit asked.

I flushed the toilet and wiped my mouth on some toilet paper and tossed it down the toilet.

"I don't know, I might have the flu or food poisoning", I mumbled. He helped me up and he rubbed my back.

"Well you should go and rest, Sodapop won't mind if you rest in his bed", he said.

I nodded and headed over to his and Pony's room. It was cute, their beds were on opposite walls. I layed down on Soda's side and instantly fell asleep.

I was awakened by my stomach churning and having to puke. I ran to the bathroom and threw up what was left of yesterday's dinner.

I reached for their toothpaste and used my fingers to clean my mouth. It was just as sufficient as a toothbrush. I rinsed my mouth and put the toothpaste back.

I heard yelling and crying and I walked into the living room. "What's going on", I asked concerned. They all looked like messes.

"They're in the hospital", Darrel cried. My vision was clouded and I put my hand on the wall just in case I fell. "We have to go now", I stammered.

___

The gang went crazy yelling at the women up front but I couldn't just stand there and wait. I ran down the hallway looking through every room.

I found Pony and Dallas. I walked inside. "Violet", they said in unison. "I'm so glad you guys are ok", I said. Dallas was banged up and Ponyboy was covered in ash.

"Where's Johnny", I asked. Dallas gave Ponyboy a look, a look I couldn't describe. "Violet, he's in bad shape", Ponyboy whispered.

I backed up against the wall. "I have to see him", I mumbled. Dallas looked so sad. "He's at the end of the hall, away from people", he said.

"I'll see you guys", I said. They understood and I made a run for the end of the hall.

I glanced inside the very last room and gasped at the sight.
Johnny had burns and bandages all over. It killed me to see him like this.

I walked inside and the door shut. "Who's there", he groaned in pain. I walked over and kissed his shoulder. "Violet", he croaked.

"It's me", I whispered. He was laying on his stomach and he propped his head on his hands.

I sat criss cross on the floor in front of him. I couldn't look, if I did I might cry. "Baby look at me", he whispered.

My eyes slowly met his and I was right, I started crying. I grabbed his hand and ran my thumb over his knuckles. "You're so beautiful you KNOW that Violet", he said.

I giggled through my tears, "Oh stop", I whispered. "I was worried sick. I missed you so much", I cried. He moved his hand slowly but he managed to touch my cheek.

"I'm here now, don't be sad doll", he whispered. I ran my hand through his hair and gently touched his face. "But you're hurt Johnny. You don't deserve this at all", I cried.

He kissed the palm of my hand. "It'll all be ok. Don't you worry now. And if I don't make it, I want you to find someone special and live your life", he said.

I shook my head. "Quit talking like that. I'm not going to lose you, I can't", I sniffled. Our faces were so close now.

"Kiss me", he blurted out. I connected my lips to his and we kissed like it was our first. "Never in my life did I think I'd meet a group of amazing guys. Meeting you was the best thing I ever did. Loving you and acting on it", I whispered.

He pressed his lips to my forehead. "I'm so glad I found a wonderful girl like you. I've never fallen in love until now. It's been one hell of a ride", he whispered back laughing.

The pain in his voice was very noticeable, no matter how hard he tried to mask it.
"Ponyboy and Dallas just finished visiting me before you did. Ponyboy was reading me Gone with the Wind", Johnny said.

"That's good, it's a great book. My mom use to read it to me when I was little, before it all went downhill", I whispered.

"But now you have the gang. They'll always love you, because you're like the sister they always wanted", Johnny exclaimed.

We sat in silence and I held his hand as he hummed against my hair. Just being with him like this was peaceful.

I was scared at what was going to happen. There was a small part of me that knew he might not make it. "Babes, can you sing to me", he whispered.