Chapter 42

Chapter 42: Selfish

"Are you tired?"

I nodded my head. Naghiwa ako ng maliit na piraso ng cake at sinubo ito. Ford then moved his head sideways and pursed his lips. Pagkuwa'y ngumiti siya at tumayo. Kumunot ang noo ko.

"Look at me," he said gently as he sat beside me.

I bit my lower lip and slowly tilted my head to his direction. He flashed a small smile then sighed. He brought his hand to my lips and through his thumb, he gently brushed the side of it. Ipinakita niya sa akin ang hinalalaki niya. There, I saw a bit of icing. I was then surprised when he slowly licked it.

"Sweet," he mumbled under his breath then took a sip of his caramel macchiato.

Gulat ko siyang tinitigan. "Ford! Why did you do that?"

"Do what?" he chuckled then licked his lower lip.

I turned my face away from him and fiddled with my earring while I took a sip of my americano. It was bitter, but it tastes good. As I put down the cup, I let out a silent yawn, covering my mouth with my hand.

"Lean on me."

My brows snapped together. I gazed at Ford confusedly. Nang lingunin ako, nagkibit-balikat siya at ngumiti.

"You said you're tired. Lean on me so you'd feel more comfortable," he said softly then tapped his shoulder.

I pursed my lips. "You're tired, too. My head might be heavy. You'll have a hard time if I do that."

"Princess, just lean on me."

Magsasalita pa sana ako, ngunit marahan niya nang naipatong ang ulo ko sa kanyang balikat. I couldn't protest then because as soon as my head touches his shoulder, I felt relaxed.

The warmth of his body brought solace in me. I don't know why, but when I am with him like this, I would always find myself being so protected. Perhaps, it's because he's a great source of comfort to me since then and I am used to being this close to him.

"I actually love it when we're this close," he mumbled.

I nodded and closed my eyes. His arms curled around my waist. He held my hand and rubbed it gently. Nagpakawala siya ng malalim na buntong-hininga.

"You know what's my biggest regret about what happened to us?" his voice was sad and weary.

Binuksan ko ang aking mga mata. I was about to part from him, so I could see him, but when I felt how his hold to my hand tightened, I figured that he doesn't want me to do that. Dahil do'n, nanatili ako sa aking p'westo at piniling pakinggan na lang ang kung anumang sasabihin niya.

"My biggest regret was pushing you away and wishing you'd forget me, but at the same time, being confident that you won't."

Naramdaman ko ang panghihina niya matapos sabihin iyon nang unti-unti siyang kumalas sa pagkakahawak sa kamay ko. I shook my head lightly. Ako naman ang humawak sa kanyang kamay nang mahigpit.

Before, it would often pain me to think of what happened to us from the past. I would always end up asking myself, "Where was I lacking?".