Chapter 4: Butterflies

Sev's POV

My mother, when she was alive, always warned me that eavesdropping was bad.

Over the years, I've always wondered why.

Today, I found out.

I really didn't mean to stumble upon the Alpha and his daughter having a conversation, but that's what I did, and in my defense I was really too shocked to realize that my mate was the Alpha's daughter more than anything. I couldn't have gone anywhere if I wanted to.

Everything the Alpha said to her, trying to console her - from what I assumed was the tiny pregnant woman that was calling her name yesterday - was obviously not going to work. There was no explanation at all, just sort of comforting words that it would all get better soon.

I'd been told that once, and not only was it not the truth, but it was also a lie.

When I was sure he was gone, I stepped out from my hiding place in time to see her look up at me with those wide eyes again.

Her fallen face lifted without her knowledge.

"Parents, huh?" Was all I could offer, but it worked, because she threw me a dazzling smile.

We gave small talk for a minute before I walked forward, almost afraid to be any closer to her, but then again, fearful to take another step back.

When her name left her lips, it made me want to run to a mountain, stand on the very top of it, and scream it as loud as I could so it echoed for miles and miles. It was such an odd and beautiful name, much like I expected its owner to be.

When she blushed, I absolutely knew I was done for.

Fighting back a smile I asked her "Would you like to go for a walk, then, Lucia?"

She nodded and clasped her hands behind her back, swishing along gleefully beside me.

"So, your pack just got here yesterday?" She asked curiously, and it surprised me.

"Your father doesn't talk about it?" I asked.

She blew a stray strand of hair out of her eyes dejectedly "No. He and my mother are very discreet about such stately matters. I bet my brothers barely know the details and they were there when it happened."

"So that was your brother yesterday, with the dirty acorn?" I asked, chuckling.

She rolled her eyes "Oh yes. That loathsome shithead's self-appointed job description is to try and make me as uncomfortable as possible, and he's been trying since I was old enough to understand that boys had different parts than girls."

I laughed "Sounds like my brother, except he prefers to talk about what boys and girls do with their different parts...in detail...at dinner. I have a feeling our siblings would be best friends."

She smirked "Well, Sili and Leo are the oldest and I think they would fit the description perfectly, but my younger brother, Alex is about as animated as a rock. He sits and reads most of the time, and mom lets him not do anything."

I watched her expressions as she spoke. She was very animated, her hands moving everywhere, gesturing with the syllables of certain words. Even if I couldn't hear her voice, I could probably decipher what she was talking about from hand signals alone.

"And your mother is the tiny pregnant lady that was yelling your name yesterday?" I asked.

She snorted and then laughed louder "Yeah! When she met dad she wasn't much older than I am now, so we look...well, the same age. Something to do with their mating process." Her face lost it's smile and grew serious, almost shy.

I studied her anxiously "And what do you know of that exactly?"

She gave a small shrug "Not a whole lot." She whispered "I just know that when it happens, you'll know for sure. Mom always told me that if I ever mated, there wouldn't be a doubt in my mind who the other person was supposed to be to me. She couldn't explain it any other way."

I hung onto her every word. She never added anything else to that statement even though it seemed she wanted to.

"Do you think you can?" I asked softly.

Her gaze whipped around and met mine. She bit her lip and slowly looked at the ground, pink rising to her gentle cheekbones once again "I could come up with a thousand words but none would do it justice."

I couldn't help but smile "I know exactly how that feels."

My pack, just then, decided to call me in "Sev, forest, five minutes, be there."

I scratched the back of my head, not wanting to go, but know I'd just worsen things if I stayed "I have some people I promised to meet that are probably waiting on me right now. How about, I see you around, soon?" I asked hopefully.

She nodded, still just gazing at me. That little spark in her eyes sent shivers up my spine knowing it was just for me.

Even though I knew it was probably a bad idea, I reached around her waist and gently pulled her up to me, bending down, and capturing her lips with mine before she could protest.

When I released her she was slightly dazed, panting, looking at me like a mate would. 

My mate.

Mine.

That made me grin at her before I took off to meet my pack. This might be the happiest they've ever seen me.