Chapter 5: Late Night Observations

When I returned home, it was dark.

I'd been wandering around for a while, slightly awestruck.

I mean, he'd kissed me. It stole my damned breath away, and that was something that had never happened before.

I'd never been courted before, let alone, kissed. With dad being the Alpha and all, everyone knew that to get to me, they'd have to go through him, so they usually kept their distance. For the idiots, this was a good thing, but for the sweet guys that I might have had a chance with, not so much.

Of course, now, I had a mate.

A mate.

My mate!

I was in awe all over again when I heard my name called by a vaguely familiar voice.

I turned to see a tall, red-haired woman jogging to me "Lucia! You've gotten so big!"

She reached me and got me in a big bear hug. "Aunt Julie! You're gonna break me!"

She released me, grinning and then kissed my cheek.

"When did you get here?" I asked.

She sighed "Oh an hour or so ago. Talon and I came down for Vas when the next one comes. The kids all came too."

I smiled "Yay! More girls! You know, since this will be number five, and you only have three, I was wondering just a few days ago why you never had any more."

She snorted "Because I didn't forget to take my herbs. Vas has a long history with forgetting to take certain medicines. Of course, if you ever ask her about it, she'll deny that that's the reason why Leo was born."

I gave a small laugh, partly because it was funny, but also because it struck me as odd, thinking of my mother as human. She was apparently as forgetful as I am, and about much more important things too!

Julie grasped my arm "Come on, girlie, let's get you home and fed."

I woke up in the middle of the night, my mouth was parched.

I carefully slid out of my bed and tiptoed around Tori and Ana on the floor. As I quietly made my way down the hall, I heard voices.

"Vas, she needs to know." warned Julie.

I heard a deep breath taken and then my mother's voice "I know, Julie, I just...what if she can't actually do it? I feel like I've let her down already. I just, I want her to be prepared in case something happens."

I frowned, biting my lip "Vas, it's a peaceful time. This is when she should be learning. And if it turns out she can't, then that's that. She's pretty understanding, you know?"

My mother's voice raised an octave, and something sounded so familiar in it "Understanding? My daughter understanding? I think a rock would be more understanding. She blames me for everything. I just...I don't know..." Her voice cracked and I flinched.

Tears burned in my eyes. I heard Julie shuffle across the room, I guess to embrace my mother "I'm sorry. I'm not usually like this." My mother mumbled quietly.

Julie gave a soft laugh "It's the kid, honey. It always is the kid with you. Aside from the givens, those are the only times I've seen you cry."

Vas gave a strangled laugh "I know. Ugh, if I don't stop now, Scar will think one of those new guys came in here and tried to terrorize us."

Julie chuckled "Terrorize us? Please!"

Then her laughter softened "Wait, what new guys?"

My tears slowly dried up as well as I became more attentive "Uh, a small pack petitioned to join ours yesterday. Apparently they got into a civil war and just the group that came to us escaped and survived it. Yesterday, I caught Lucia ogling one of the younger guys from the very same pack. I know that look all too well, Julie. What if...oh God! What if her kid is almost the same age as her youngest sibling?!"

Julie laughed again "You really think she'll be as stupid as you and jump into bed with her mate immediately?"

My mother scoffed "Whatever! I at least knew Scar for more than 24 hours before I went and shagged him! How many did you know Talon? Like 5?"

Julie snorted "It was at least 7!"

I slapped a hand over my mouth. Oh. My. God.

As their laughter died down, I'd decided I'd heard enough, and stood to go back to my room, suddenly not so thirsty any more "So, you been hunting lately?"

I stopped as I heard my aunt ask that question? "What do you think? Scar barely liked me hunting when I wasn't pregnant. Now that I am, even I know better than try to go out and be reckless like that. I'm almost up though, so after this one, I'm starting a safe regiment to stay on my herbs until this magical time period, or whatever it is, ends."

"That's what you said after Lucia. Oh, And  Alex too. Now we're on forgotten-conception-induced kid number three. You think third time's the charm?"

My mother huffed and I could almost see her pursing her lips "It better be. If I have another kid, my kid's kids will definitely be having identity crises and I can't have that."

They were silent. "Besides, I haven't been able to find dad's jacket for a while. I must have put it in the trunk."

Julie snorted "Oh, I don't think you have to worry about that. I know who has it?"

"What are you talking about?" My mother asked. My palms had already started to clam up. I knew that my grandad had been killed when mom and Aunt Julie were young, but I'd never talked about it to them because mom always got sad afterwards because she started thinking about how Grandma had died too. My mother and I may have never gotten along too well, but I always hated to see her even slightly upset.

"Oh, well, when I found Lucia tonight, she happened to be wearing it. If I hadn't known you were back here, I would've thought it was you."