9 years ago Part 3

Nicole stared out of the window in the backseat, her feet swinging just above the floor of Marcus' truck. She could faintly hear Tabitha snore but the sound of the truck's engine drowned out the gargles. The radio was on a punk rock station and she hummed along even if she didn't know the words. Nicole could feel someone watching her. It was Marcus. He looked at her through the rearview mirror and his eyes were deep and black. Nicole looked up at him and smiled. Marcus smiled back, his smile was warm and inviting. Nicole understood why Tabitha was dating him. He was so sweet and kind. "So, little one... Do you like this kind of music? I can tell you do, you're humming along... Do you know who this is?" Nicole shook her head but was curious about who it was. Marcus cranked up the music. "This is My Chemical Romance. They are incredible, right?" Nicole smiled and nodded her head. Marcus smiled at Nicole and sat back in his seat. "I like you little one. You have a good taste in music." Marcus made a sharp left right down Hobbs Street. Nicole got an upset feeling in her stomach. She looked out the window and saw the tops of trees poking out overhead. The woods. Nicole felt like she was going to barf. It was the most uncomfortable thing she ever felt in her life.

Marcus pulled off the road into a dirt entrance. The truck started to rattle and Nicole was bouncing in her seat. She was more than ready to go home. The truck came to a sudden halt and Nicole jerked forward in her seat. Marcus unbuckled his seatbelt and looked over at Tabitha. He poked her and her head wobbled and she didn't budge one bit. Marcus sighed with an angry tone in his voice. He looked like he was seriously getting sick of Tabitha. He put his hand on her shoulder and violently shook her, saying her name with a stern tone in his voice. She hummed and snorted. "H-Huh?" Marcus sighed again and muttered to himself. "We're at Nowhere..." Tabitha stared into space, possibly collecting her thoughts. she exhaled through her mouth and her face was blank and she was staring into the distance, through the trees and into the darkness. She was worried beyond compare. Everyone in the truck could feel it. It was like a heavy presence weighing down on Nicole's shoulders. She began to breathe heavily. I need to get out of this truck.. She thought. But Nicole couldn't even lift her finger- let alone lift herself out of the truck. No one else was moving, as if they were in a trance. It's the woods! Nicole thought to herself. It took all of her might to lift her arm and open the car door. As soon as she opened it, and the cool breeze flew in, everyone snapped out of the trance. They all exited the truck one by one.

Tabitha was finally starting to regain her balance, even though she was still quite buzzed. It was hard to tell because Tabitha could hide these things pretty well. She was almost always drunk so Nicole was pretty much used to it. Marcus grabbed a flashlight from the truck and regained his composure. "Well are we ready?" NO! Nicole thought. I'M NOT READY TO ENTER A MURDER FOREST. Nicole wanted to jump back into the truck where it would be safe, but her feet pulled her forward. Marcus grabbed Tabitha's hand and they set off into the forest.