The Move

His name was Ashton. His hair was light and curly. He stole my heart before I could even help it.

It was my first day of school, I had just moved to Australia from Oregon. I woke up that morning completely terrified. Another school. Another chance to feel like a freak. Another way to feel out of place. We moved to Australia, to get away from the past. It was me my mom and my 3 siblings. We moved here to get away from my father. He abused my my mom and older brother the worst. He abused us all but, it was the kind you wouldn't call abuse because you would just think he was in a bad mood or something. But yeah it was abuse.

For me the abuse got bad around 7th grade. Him and my mom got divorced two years before that. I started making bad dicssions. At first I thought he was worried about me. But no. It started with him taking away anything I could contact anyone. Then he took away my phone my mom got me, without telling him, forcing me to go to the store with him just so I could hear him scream about how my mom lies, is a horrible person and blah blah blah. After that is was just the constant judgement about my friends, music I liked, how I dressed and that I was weird and stupid for not eating meat because it made making dinner for his new perfect little wife hard. I started listening to Nirvana, Fall Out Boy, Twenty One Pilots and stuff like that. Every time I had headphones in an he could barely hear the buzz from the music he'd tell me to shut it off. Or if we were in the car and he'd turn on the radio and tell me to pick a station he'd A: Yell at me because I wouldn't pick a station quick enough, B: Yell at me because I flipped thru to many or C: Say "why to you like this shit". Not to mention all the countless times I would say something about a band and the dirty looks I would get. It got so bad around the end of my Freshman year I told him I didn't want to see him again. Then he took that out on my mom and court stuff blah.

The court finally said we could move wherever we wanted and he could see us once a year.

Anyway that's the past this is now. I got up and got dressed, black jeans, Nirvana shirt, Converse. Looked in the mirror, "Fat." I whispered to myself. I walked down stairs to where everyone else was eating breakfast.

"Hey honey. Want a ride to school?"

"No thanks mom. I'll take the bus."

"Really? Okay. Take something to eat."

"I'll eat something when I get to school." I said as I walked out the door.

The bus literally had one empty seat. I sat in it.

"Ooh, Mikey look new girl." I heard the tall, skinny blonde behind me say to the guy in the seat next to me.

"Dude chill, she looks like she bites." Mikey said with a smirk on his voice.

"I don't bite." I said.

"So where did you come from?" The blonde asked.

"Rainiest place on earth. Oregon, United States."

"An American huh?" Mikey said.

"Yup." I said as I put my head phones in and turn the volume as loud as it would go.

The bus stopped at another stop. The blonde came and sat next to me. I took one headphone out and looked at him. He was kinda cute.

"Hi, I'm Luke."

"Hi? I'm Kaydence."

"That's a pretty name."

"Thanks...''

"I'm sorry but, I could hear your music from back there and wanted to tell you that you have great taste in music." He giggled. He was really cute.

"Oh, um thanks."

"Yeah so do you want me to help you find your way around?"

"Oh yeah that be great thanks."

When we got to school I followed Luke off the bus. He walked towards Mikey and another guy.

"Hey guys I'm gonna show her around, catch up with you later." He paused. "Where's Ash?"

"Calum said he saw him walking with some girl, you know Ash." Mikey said.

"Yeah okay, see ya."

We headed towards the front of the school.

"Let's find your locker." Luke said. I handed him my schedule which had my locker number on it. He nodded and turned down a hallway. After a few steps he stopped at a locker. "Here we go." I opened my locker thew my bag in and grabbed my books.

"We have first period together. So you can sit by me if you want." He looked at me and winked.

"Yeah, okay." I laughed. As I followed him around the strange school we passed a blonde girl who looked from me to Luke and glared back at me.

"Yeah...I would stay away from her. That is my ex she might hate your guts for letting me walk you to class." He said, with sadness in his voice. I could read him like a book.

"Did she cheat on you?" I asked.

"Yeah.."

"How about we make her hate me more." I said and grabbed his hand and put my in his. He looked at me and smiled.

"Yeah that works...For now."

"For now?"

"She's in our first period class." He said.

"I guess I'll take you up on that offer and sit by you then." I tried to cheer him up. I didn't know why but I hated to see him sad.