Chapter Three

Chapter Three

                Before heading over to the library, I had stop by my house to make sure ghost did not eat the witch’s snotty, green, eye gunk off my pajama shirt. This came pretty close; because when I walked upstairs he was laying right next to the shirt. I grabbed the shirt and scrapped what I could off the shirt and into a zip lock baggie, and then hid it in a coffee mug in the cabinet. I then headed back out to the library when I got stopped by a neighbor,

“Dahlia!” Mrs. Zellas yelled over from her front yard,

I spun around on my heels to face her direction, “Yes, hello Mrs. Zellas.” I answered back.

“I just wanted to let you know someone was knocking at your door around 11am. She came over here asking if we knew when you’d be back.” She replied. I never got many visitors, so this did make me raise an eyebrow.

“Did she give a name?” I asked,

“No, but she did tell me not to tell you that she stopped by to.” She said rubbing her forehead for a second, as in confusion.

“Huh, what did she look like?” I questioned, walking steps closer to her fence.

“She was a little shorter than you, dark red hair and um blue eyes.” She answered.

“Thank you Mrs. Zellas, you have a good day!” I yelled over to her, while fast walking it to my truck. Who was this chick? First the odd feeling I get at the hospital when I “met” her, then the witch’s cross which might not have been her, but it is way to coincidental. But now she has shown up at my house asking when I’d be back. There is something way off, because if she was with the witches from last night, I’d remember her. But one thing at a time, I have to get this book and get these witches off my “scent” first, can’t afford to get side tracked right now.

                As I walked into the library, I tried to be sneaky about it. One of the girls, Beth, that I work with never shuts up. I mean she’s the kind of woman who would tell you about how hard it was for her to poop that morning than not tell you something; it’s absolutely ridiculous. I don’t have time for her right now, so I had to be extra careful about this. So, I waited till this couple walked in and followed a few steps behind. When they continued walking toward the front desk, I quickly took a left into the book shelves; waited a minute to listen for Beth’s voice calling my name, but all heard was, “How can I help you two?” I was in the clear.

                 I turned and made my way to the way back of the row, toward the stairs to go up one level to the fiction and other genres; including demonology. I loved the library, I wasn’t huge on the reading part but I like to skim through the different books, but mostly I love the building itself. Secret Hollow is an old town, we’re not very new aged and technology based; I mean the library still has the box like computers, no flat screens. It’s the kind of town that does its own festivals in the town square, get togethers (parties) at the bigger, richer people’s homes for special events, which are usually pretty boring but it’s good for me to attend so the town’s people don’t think I’m bad. Secret Hollow High’s football games are usually a big deal with the students, lots of dances and fundraisers.

                We have tons of little shops in the town square, small businesses are a big deal here, about half the people you meet are usually a store owner; like Mrs. Zellas is one of two local flower shop owners. It’s a nice little town, it’s also where the majority of my blood line was born and raised. Anyway the library is my favorite place, it’s one of those old ones, with a high ceiling, two levels the third is the basement. It has multiple rooms with lots of tables and chairs near the book cases for sitting and reading, studying. It has paintings scattered about of certain families and people who meant something to the town or did something for the town; good and bad. By the demonology section there is a painting of Joseph Johnson, a man back in 1785 who was caught out in the middle of the woods chopping up the limbs of 18 year old girls and then squeezing their parts of blood into goblets for him to drink. He said drinking their blood gave him special powers, like being able to levitate, which he couldn’t prove when taken to court. He was one of many notorious psychopaths who still haunt Secret Hollow.