Chapter 1

There was only 2 weeks left until the winter dance, and of course I don't have a date. I really wanted to go, but I also don't want to be the only girl there alone.

I haven't been asked, yet & I don't think that I will be. I could just ask someone, but the one person I like that I would want to ask, doesn't even notice me.

I walked with my besties Tiffany and Ryshelle through the mall. They were shopping for a dress to wear to the dance. I didn't bother to look for anything, because that would've just been a waste of money in my opinion.

"How does this look?" Ryshelle asked coming out of the dressing room wearing a pretty peach dress.

"It's cute. Just too bright." I said.

"I agree with Niya." Tiffany said. She was texting and never even looked up from her phone to see the dress.

"Ok ten, I'll try the other one." Ryshelle went back into the fitting room. She came back out a few minutes later in a royal blue dress. That dress was perfect. I was a bit jealous. I wanted it.

"I love it." I said. Tiffany finally looked up.

"That is cute. Are you getting it?" She asked.

"If it's that cute then yep." She smiled. She got dressed then we left.

Tiffany already had her dress. So they grabbed their shoes then we left. They took they stuff home then we went to the park. Ry liked to go up there to watch the boys from school play ball. So did I.

There was this guy there named Donte. I like him, like a lot. I'm not his type though. And even though he knows my friends and they are all cool, we have never talked. It might be for the best though because every girl he's ever dated was a hoe.

"Omg why is he so cute?" Ryshelle said making googly eyes at this guy named Mark. I'm surprised they aren't dating yet. I think that would be her fault. She likes to play hard to get.

Tiffany is also single. She like some of everybody. Well just 2 people that I know of. Mark's best friend Donte and my step brother JJ. Never understood why she liked him, but if he's her taste then ok.

"So when are ya'll going to make it official?" I asked Ry.

"One day. Right now I just like him chasing me." She looked his way & bit her lip.

"Aren't ya'll going to the dance together?" I asked.

"No. I'm going with Melvin."

Melvin was this cute guy that likes her a lot but she won't date him. Sometimes I just don't get her.

"Tiff, who are you going with?" I asked.

"JJ." She looked at me.

"Of all people? You really could have done better." I rolled my eyes.

My step brother annoyed me to the core. Maybe because he thought he was the cutest dude in the world & can get any female he wanted. And on top of that, he's rude as hell. To everybody.

The basketball game was over so I just sat there while they all talked. I caught myself staring at Donte while he was talking to his girlfriend Tasha. I don't like Tasha. She was pretty, I guess, but her attitude was horrible. And she's a hoe.

"Why you not at home?" JJ asked. He hopped on the table and sat down drinking his water.

"Because I don't have to be."

"Stop always talking shit." He hit me in the forehead so I punched his thigh. He took his water bottle and poured water all in my hair.

"You ass." I yelled. I got up and was about to slap him.

"Niya calm down. What happened?" Tiffany stepped between up. I shook my head and water splashed all in her face. "Ew. What the hell." She wiped her face.

"Yea, your little ugly boyfriend did that." JJ was laughing.

"That's not my girl and maybe you'll learn to stop talking shit."

"I hate you." I shook my head again harder so that the water can get on him.

"Bruh. Keep that dirty shit to yourself."

"Fuck you. My hair not dir.." I was cut off.

"Ya'll stay at it, damn. We about to head up to Burger King. You about to stay here and fight with yo sister or you coming?" Donte asked.

I wasn't even thinking about JJ anymore after hearing his voice. I don't even know why I like Donte so much. We never even talked to each other outside of me saying hi and him just nodding what up.

"You want to go?" Ry asked looking at me.

"No. Ya'll go. I'll go home." I just really wasn't trying to be around that crowd.

"Please Niy. We don't want to just ditch you for them."

"You're not. I chose not to go. It's cool."

"But you drove with us. If we leave you, then how will you get home?" Tiffany asked. I never thought of that.

"Uh. Come on. I'll go." I shook my head and my hair was drying up because it was a little hot outside. It's almost November and it's still hot.

"Yes." Tiff hugged me, grabbed my hand and pulled me to the car.

I started to feel weird about going now. I should've just said I'll catch the bus home or something. I got a bad feeling about this.