Chapter 20 - No Place for Love in War

The home is still standing; the fields are still harvesting. Even with what Ayogan's been through the land is lively. Fifty kios (approximately twenty-five kilometers) southeast of Feo is a small town named Nago in the province of Ch'ai where Moa was born and raised. Everything looks like it hadn't changed, untouched by the grimy hands of war. Being escorted by carriage and four bodyguards, Moa approached her childhood home and knocked on the wooden door. An elderly woman in her late fifties to early sixties greeted the guest with a smile from ear to ear and eyes filled with delight. Time had drawn aging wrinkles on her face and neck; a few strands of black hair drowned in a sea of grey and white tied in a bun. 

 Her friendly demeanor was almost dashed when she saw a carriage guarded by soldiers behind the guest. "Hello," squeaked the elderly woman, "were you summoned from the Imperial Capital?" "No ma'am, this is not a visit ordered from the Queen." The aged woman sighed in relief. Confused and anxious, she thought, "If this stranger in noble clothing is not a herald of the Westlands, who could she be and where could she have come from?" 

"How can I help you, then, young lady?" With a gentle smile on Moa's face, "Mom... it's me, your daughter." The elderly woman looked her up and down in astonishment. "Moa? Can it be? Is it really you?" Moa nodded. "Yes mama, it's me! It's really me!" Her mother cried tears of joy as she fell into Moa's arms, dragging both of them to the ground. Just then, an old man came to the front of the house to see why his wife was sobbing. "What's going on here?" asked the old man. "Why are you crying like this in public? You're going to cause a scene!" "My dear," said the elderly woman, "our daughter has come back! She's here, look at her!" The old man knelt down to their level and put on his glasses. Squinting, he carefully examined the face of the stranger looking for remnants of his daughter when she was younger. As he looked on, memories came flooding back into his aged mind. He recalled his youthful daughter's deep dimples; her left cheek embellished with a beauty mark; her round, amiable brown eyes and, most of all, her affable and affectionately warming smile. 

 He sighed and shook his head. "What a shame. What a pity this really is." His wife smacked his arm. "Watch your tongue! She really is our daughter!" He gave another deep sigh as Moa watched them in confusion. "How could I have been so foolish? This makes no sense whatsoever." His wife became flustered at his words and demanded his reasoning. "No, no, no", said the old man, "you've got it all wrong. I'm saying it's a shame on me for not being able to see earlier that this young woman really is our daughter! As a father, I feel so ashamed to have not recognized my own Moa the very instant I laid my worn eyes on her. She has grown, matured so much from the last time I saw her. Curse my deteriorated vision and effete mind for failing me!" He proceeded to hug the both of them as they embraced one another on the ground. "Please forgive your father for not welcoming you as his daughter." pleaded the old man. "It's been so long since you've left us that I've grown aloof to the idea of ever seeing you again." "No need to be sorry papa. It is I who should be the one saying sorry. I left you and mama worried for over ten years of my whereabouts. I've never written or visited once within that time and am forever in contrition for neglecting my parents." "Well, since you are here, let's go inside and I'll cook you your favorite dish." suggested her mother. "That sounds great!", cheered Moa, "It seems like an eternity since I've had mama's home-cooked meals." All three of the family went inside while Moa's guards stood watch in front of her parents' home.

 While Moa's parents were busy in the kitchen she used the opportunity to inspect around the home. The interior of the house looked worn out, as to be expected from years of wear and tear living in the same place, but it didn't look run down. The garden in the back of the house was still capable of bearing crops but was a quarter of the size it used to be. Her room looked untouched but well kept; her bed sheets were clean and her bookshelves were spotless. Moa then went back to the garden to check on the plants. Although the soil is not as fertile as it used to be, the plants were growing healthily; some were beginning to grow roots where others were already sprouting. Looking out into the backyard her mom yelled out, "Moa, come inside! The food is ready!"