XXIX: Brighter Days

'The world you desire can be won. It exists...it is real. It is yours.' - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

The following day, Stefani wasn't thrilled when she realised what had transpired between James and Aleks shortly after the government's announcement. The couple hadn't spoken of it but the beaming smiles both men adorned and their inability to look away from one another told Stefani everything she needed to know.

Fortunately, the men weren't scolded too much, and when they were, both took it with a smile, knowing that Stef's reprimands were purely spoken out of concern for James's health.

The nurse deemed James healthy enough to return to his duties in camp, as long as he avoided any heavy lifting or strain for another two weeks. The news was a ray of hope for James, and Aleks understood how much it meant to him. He knew his boyfriend hated feeling useless, knowing he'd thought of himself as a burden whilst he recovered from the trauma of the battle.

James immediately threw himself back into his active role as one of the leaders of the Creature camp, choosing to undertake one of his favourite tasks first: babysitting the camp's young children.

Aleks watched him now with a fond smile gracing his lips; James was truly in his element as the children chased him around the vast courtyard, and the sound of their laughter illuminated the camp. Most of the residents had gathered outside to enjoy the spring sunshine, and for the first time since that fateful night, the camp was finally beginning to feel like home again.

"You two are so cute."

At the sound of Joe's voice, Aleks reluctantly tore his eyes away from James's radiant form to glance at his friend. "Shut up." He muttered, but there was no embarrassment or disgruntlement in his tone. He could never be ashamed or humiliated by his love for James.

"You're seriously giving me and Spencer some tough competition for camp's best couple." Joe said playfully, narrowly avoiding the jab to his ribs that Aleks quickly sent his way by sliding down the bench to put some distance between them. Both men were seated at one of the tables, cleaning the camp weaponry.

Aleks rolled his eyes, but was secretly grateful for the light-hearted conversation. It painted a bright future for them all.

"You know, I don't think I've ever thanked you." Joe added unexpectedly, as he returned to his former position beside him. The sudden seriousness in his voice made Aleks still, and he dropped his gaze to the gun in his hands, unsure if he was ready for the conversation that was about to unfold.

"Why would you need to thank me?" He asked lightly, but had a feeling he knew what Joe meant.

"For not giving up on them." Joe responded solemnly, and Aleks tracked his gaze to see that he was watching James, a slight smile lifting the corners of his mouth. "For saving them."

"James and Jordan saved themselves." Aleks said, a ring of truth to his words. They had – they'd been the ones to fend off the Hunters, to chase them away from the camp. "All I did was bring them home."

Now it was Joe's turn to look exasperated, and he shook his head fondly. "You did more than that, and you know it."

Aleks shrugged his shoulders, brushing off the praise. He didn't need it.

Joe seemed to sense that Aleks wasn't willing to talk about that night, and he changed the subject slightly. "I'm just glad everything worked out, in the end." He admitted. "I can't imagine living in this camp without James or Jordan."

Aleks couldn't either. James and Jordan were the light of camp; the strength and spirit of the people. Even now, he was drawn to James, and he found himself watching him again, unable to fight the connection that bound them together. Love truly was a formidable force.