First Date

The Orphan Girl
Chapter Twelve
First Date

"Akiko?" my mom ask me as I stepped into the living room, wearing my casual clothes.

"Yes?" I answered, sitting down on the dinner table and proceed to eat my breakfast.

"Is it true that you're going out on a date with Shino?" she asked me, hands clasped together in front of her and an innocent smile on her frame.

My eyes widened in shock and I stared at her with an open mouth as I was about to take a bite. My hands hangs useless in the air as well. "W-What makes you think that?" I asked her, hoping she didn't catched the nervousness in my voice. I took the bite in my mouth, chewing on it slowly to buy myself some time.

"Oh, nothing." she said innocently. "I just heard Kiba and Shino talk about it at training yesterday. Well, Shino said that all you had to do was having lunch and Kiba twisted it into a date. So is it true then?" She too began to eat her breakfast, keeping an eye out on me as she chewed.

I finish chewing my bite and swallow, knowing I couldn't buy anymore time. "Well, yeah." I said slowly. "We are going out to lunch today, but..." I trailed off, playing with my food.

"But what? Do you want to cancel the deal? It will break Shino's heart to hear that, he seemed to be excited about this lunch date." my mom said. Had she already swallowed her bite? Stupid ninjas...

"No, no, I won't cancel it." I assured her. "Shino will just stay mad at me for the rest of his life. It's just that..." I trailed off yet again, taking a bite and chewed on it slowly.

"You don't know what to wear?" mom tried. She then took a bite and chewed on it, waiting for me to finish. "Or you're not sure about your feelings?" she said with her mouth full of food. Well, if she may...

"Both." I said with my mouth full of food. "I have a kimono, but I think it's too small to me by now. And I'm not sure about my feelings." I swallowed my bite and looked into the red, circling eyes of my adopted mom. "I like him as a friend, that's for sure." I assured her and myself. "But I'm not sure if the feelings cuts deeper, you know."

"I know what you mean. And that's why there's something called dates." my mom said a little too cheerfully and pointed at me with her chopsticks in her hand while she winked at me. I looked confused at her, waiting for her to continue.

"Dates?"

"Yes, dates." she repeated with a smile. "Dates are made so that you can spend alone time with a boy, or a girl if you're a boy, and sort out your feelings, see if he or she is something for you. You don't need to kiss Shino on your first date. Just sort out your feelings and see if he's something for you."

"Oh." I said, realizing what dates really are. "I thought dates were something where you eat dinner or lunch and kiss and all those stuff. I dunno, I don't read romantic novels." I told her, like it was nothing, and shrugged it off. I took a bite and chewed on it as mom spoke.

"But now you're in one, darling."

Yeah, I guess so.

-Breakline-

"Mom, I don't need to wear a kimono!"

"Aw, come on, Shino will love it!"

"Mom!"

As you maybe have guessed, my mom is trying to get me to wear a kimono. But it wasn't just any kimono. If it was green or blue, I wouldn't mind. But this one is freaking pink! And I hate pink! And it was really a girly pink, those there make me want to puke. And it had small red roses at the bottom of the dress, making it even more girly.