Chapter 12: Truth

"I had a dream about someone cutting open my throat so I couldn't speak, he looked like a doctor. He spoke to me in the same voice as the demons in my head, telling me now that I couldn't speak I could get married and I'd be a perfect bride for him, he... He called me Emma. My limbs felt heavy but I managed to pull him closer, I bit his throat and ripped it out I could taste he blood in my mouth" she paused her fingers touching her throat, she looked dazed "he didn't die, he just grinned wickedly and kissed me. It was vile." The touch on her throat tightened, she hated feeling defenseless.
"Emma?" Echo turns to Dreamer with a frown, Dreamer nodded slowly. Emma came recently, and Verna had no knowledge of the woman.

Echo's frown deepens, something was different about this woman. Something was different about Verna, "So you don't know anyone named Emma?" Echo tried to figure out if there is possibly another way she could know of Emma.

"Mommy!" Suzuko scolded her, "Let Verna finish" Echo's mouth snapped shut at her daughters demanding tone. Echo had assumed that Verna WAS finished. Verna looked at Suzuko with a confused expression, she was finished speaking that was all of her dream. What more was there to tell?

"This isn't anything new is it?" Suzuko watched Verna with an intelligent look, "You've been having dreams like that for a long time haven't you?" Suzuko pried gently, Verna watched her with a surprised expression. She was sharp for her age, she wondered if Suzuko had voices in her head as well.
"Yeah, they happen often I guess" she pursued her lips in a thinking look. She couldn't remember a time she didn't have nightmares.
"What normally happens in these dreams?" Suzuko looks at her expectantly, Verna sighs, looking at the ceiling with a frown tugging on her chapped lips. Her tongue flicks out wetting her lips as she drifts into thought.
"Horrible things, things that I cannot disclose to you. My mind is a place that children should never see Suzuko, when I say you would be better off not knowing, I mean it" Verna shook her head, it was true, she could never tell the young girl in front of her about her horrible rape dreams, her torture dreams, sometimes she was the victim other times she was the one causing others pain. She never understood the pattern, she hated that she had no control and her demons liked that. They enjoyed watching her panic over the lack of control.
"Verna please.." Suzuko's hand touches her arm gently, it was loving and calm like a mother. Verna flinched away, her mother hated her. She didn't deserve the unconditional love of the woman she tried to kill.
"Don't touch me!" Verna hissed, her body lurching back as if she had just been burned.
"You've never felt true affection have you?" Echo watched her with narrow eyes, Verna flinched under her gaze, "What age did you get sent to that mental institution?"
"Four.." Her heart lurched, suzuko looked to be in near tears. Dreamer watched them with a frown, four, she was sent away from her parents at such a young age and forced to cope with it. Dreamer doubted that anyone held her and told her it was going to be alright, he assumed they just threw her in.
"Why, what happened to cause that?" Echo watched her with a Stoney expression, Verna felt tears weld in her eyes. Threatening to push past and fall down her cheeks.
"I tried to kill my parents" her voice was a near whisper, hoarse as she tried to calm herself.
Suzuko backed away from her, lips pulled into a tight line. She walked back and clung to Echo's legs. Rejection hit Verna hard, tears fell as she wanted to beg suzuko not to be afraid of her. She wanted to throw herself at the young girl and tell her that she's not a monster, that she would never hurt her.
Echo moved swiftly, her hand connecting with Verna's cheek in a sharp slap. Verna looked up with a teary eyes expression, Echo gripped Suzuko's shirt and threw the young girl at Verna. Verna panicked, catching her and holding the young girl safely to her chest.
"Are you okay?" Verna panicked, placing her hands on Suzuko's cheeks and looking her over.
"Does that look like the reaction of a monster?" Echo's voice booms in the now quiet room.
Suzuko's eyes watered, tears fell as she wailed hugging Verna. Voice muffled she whimpers out apologies. Verna cried, face shoved into the young girls hair choking out her own apologies.
Echo walked to dreamer, hand reached out to smack against his large chest.
"I'll be back for Suzuko later, take care of them" she nods to the species male, dreamer watches her leave assuming she had to go and check on her son.