Sunflowers

Russia opened his eyes to see soft light shining into the closet from both sides. He looked down to his side to see America, still asleep. Russia lifted his hand and pushed America's bangs aside.

America sighed and readjusted himself against Russia, his head lying on Russia's shoulder.

Russia smiled. He brushed America's hair behind his ears. Russia moved just slightly to readjust the blanket before America started to move. His eyes fluttered open as he slowly sat up.

"I woke you up," Russia said. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay," America said, rubbing sleep from his eyes. America looked to Russia and have a small smile. "Thank you for staying with me."

Russia nodded just before a voice was heard close by.

"America? Russia?"

The two boys stood up and walked into America's room where Canada stood. He breathed a sigh of relief when he saw the two. "There you are. How about you two get dressed and come downstairs for some breakfast?"

They both nodded. Canada left the room and Russia went back to his. Both dressed, the two boys went to the kitchen and took seats at the dining room table, many of the nations there.

Canada came in with some plates of pancakes for everyone and laid them in the table. Italy came in behind him with some fruits. Canada got a plate of breakfast for America and one for Russia before everyone started eating.

"So, England," Germany started. "How is the reversal spell going?"

"Fine."

The nations quickly began to 'discuss' the topic with each other, each one interjecting with their own thoughts.

America nudged Russia, gaining his attention. "Watch this," he whispered.

He bunched up his napkin and then laid his spoon over it. He took a few fruits from his plate at put them on his spoon. Quickly, his hand came down on the handle as the berries flew into the air.

Russia smiled as a few hit France and Germany.

America saw Russia's smile as his own widened.

"Brat," England muttered as he sipped his tea.

A few more berries launched directly at England, his tea spilling over in his surprise. Small bursts of laughs went around the table.

America struggled to suppress his own laughter after watching Russia launch his attack.

After breakfast, the two boys went outside to play after many of the nations had left. The only ones that had stayed were Canada, England, France, Spain and Lithuania.

America took Russia outside and showed him all the places that were great for playing. He brought him to the field out in back. A small area surrounded with taller plants. An area that felt as if it were secluded from everything else.

"Do you want to play a game?"

"What kind of game?"

"How about tag?"

"Okay."

"Tag, you're it!" America quickly tapped Russia's shoulder before running away into the field.

Russia chased after him, his scarf - much too long for him now - trailing behind him. They went back and forth chasing each other throughout the field until Russia chased America somewhere new.

America suddenly stopped and turned around. "Close your eyes."

"What?"

"I have a surprise!"

Russia quickly closed his eyes. He felt America's hand grasp his and carefully pull him along, warning him of roots and dips in the ground along the way.

"Okay, open your eyes now."

Russia did and stopped, amazed. In front of him were bunches of sunflowers, taller than he was.

"Do you like them?"

Russia looked back to America. He wondered why he sounded nervous.

"They're so beautiful," Russia said in awe.

"Here." From behind him, America held out a sunflower. Russia took hold of it, it's flower covering his face.

Russia rushed and put his arms around America in a hug. After a moments hesitation, he felt America hug him, too. "Thank you, America."

"Anything for you," America said happily.

They both walked back to the house, hand in hand. Inside, France and Lithuania watched out the window.

"They are sweet, are they not?" France commented.

Lithuania nodded. "Maybe this was a good event after all."

"And how do you reason that?"

"Children don't think of things the same way they do when they're grown. Maybe they'll both finally open up to each other, now."

A shout came from the other room as a small explosion like noise was heard.

"Doesn't sound like England's having any luck with spell."