Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

My eyes were closed and warm breeze was playing with my hair. I could hear the rustling of the leaves above me and feel the sun shining on my face; creating an orange light behind my eyelids.

Someone giggled and pushed against my upper left arm.

I reluctantly opened my eyes again and turned to the person next to me.

Lynn was grinning at me, saying, "Wakey, wakey Nia!"

I looked around and saw that we were still in Hyde Park, sitting on the soft grass underneath a tree. Then, pouting, I looked at her and asked, "Why did you have to wake me? I'm quite tired, you know!"

"Yep,I know. It's because we spent the entire night marathoning way too many films."

I let out a moan, "Yes, way too many!"

She nodded, "Well, many or not, we should still keep on practising our guitar- playing."

Sighing, I gave in, and looked down on my Taylor guitar, "Yes, you're right."

Lynn winked, "Of course I am! Mister Andrews will kill us if we don't know these chords by next lesson."

At that I placed my left hand and fingers in position and nodded at my cousin. We hit our guitar strings at the same time, smiling more and more as the chords sounded clearer.

Occasionally another visitor of Hyde Park would stop at some distance from us, curiously looking at us as we played.

After a while we put down our guitars to take a drink of our bottle of water. It was an extremely warm day in summer and we were glad that we were protected from the sun's rays by the shadow of the tree behind us.

"Phew!" said Lynn, "I think that's enough for the chords today, right?"

I nodded, "We're getting quite good at them!"

She smiled, "Indeed we are! So, what song shall we play?"

Both of our heads shot up at that and we grinned at each other, clearly coming up with the same one.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" I asked.

Lynn nodded, "Oh I bet I do! Our song!"

"With or without singing?"

"With of course! It's not like we're that bad at it!"

"I agree! After all, mister Andrews said our voices are quite nice and our singing quite moderate instead of bad."

Lynn counted to three and both of us started to play the well- known chords of the song. Then I begun by singing the first two sentences of our song

"When you're down and troubled and you need a helping hand

And nothing, oh nothing is going right."

Lynn took the next two sentences and soon a few people were standing around us. They looked at us and listened.

We reached the chorus and sang together.

"You just call out my name and you know wherever I am

I'll come running to see you again

Winter, spring, summer, or fall, all you've got to do is call

And I'll be there yeah, yeah, yeah