Chapter 16: Midnight

As soon as Zetsuen finished his chant, the light from the giant magic circle evaporated into the atmosphere, by forming a large silhouette right beside him. Countless magic particles floated through the air, creating..

Clear, chilly irises, a snake-like form, covered in a frosty chill of semi-hardened scales for protection. I could not see it before, but this guy also had large wings as well. According to my <<Estimate>> skill, this magic summoning cost a large amount of magic power.

I of course, can't make any proven hypotheses due to the lack of information about magic in this parallel world, but I could at least guess that he had to conserve strength before he could do it again. The toll for calling the beast, Grandiore from before, in an instant, must be really harsh. Well, it was a dragon after all.

If I was my usual self right now, I would be excited against facing the beings popular in all the different games I used to play, and make it my pet in a hurry. But I wasn't going to do that. Now that I can think even faster in this skill's effect, several folds in fact, I concluded that there was no merit in contracting a beast that was already owned by another.

First of all, it would show reluctance towards me being the one who stole it from its rightful master. Also, I doubt I can defend against it without this abnormal strengthening skill during the day. It might take the chance to eat me, or even worse, wreak havoc upon the surroundings. This wasn't like keeping a cat or dog.

But most of all, this guy was owned by Zetsuen, who treated human beings like ants, and looked at them like garbage. If this dragon, Grandiore was even influenced even a tiny bit by his master's personality, I could not bring myself to show kindness towards it.

The strong who use their power for oppression without a good enough reason except to relieve boredom or kill time, are the scum of society. No, the entire world.

It wasn't my obligation to pass judgement to them in any way. I am also not angry at how I almost died because of them, but I can't let them go back to the city.

Because if I turn a blind eye to this, I know I'll forever regret it. Our time was short, but the few people I've met there have good hearts. I myself, was only dragged into all of this, but that did not matter in the least. I won't make excuses, I'll just do what I want to do.

From now on until forever, that's what I shall do.

Oh, it seems they're done preparing.

The dragon, Grandiore was opening its large mouth to release a breath attack? While Zetsuen was preparing to lunge at me under the cover fire of his familiar. A simple but effective plan. The advantage of numbers side with them.

Adding to the fact, that the sheer raw power of both combined was enormous. At least, that's what I saw through <<Estimate>> skill. And most people would cower and surrender before a rarely seen dragon in front of them.

What is this, some kind of joke?

I started to realize that whenever this skill is activated, my thoughts would accelerate, but at the same time, grow arrogant and prideful. No, this wasn't overconfidence.

Even earlier, when I blocked his attack, I judged it only needed my pointer finger to intercept, so I reflexively did it. I also meant to say that 'I'm glad it wasn't that strong.' and sigh inwardly in relief, but it somehow got jumbled up when I released the words from my mouth. Was this an unexpected flaw in the skill? I do not know yet.

But one thing's for sure. My earlier fear and the <<Intuition>> skill alarming me of danger was all but gone right now. I felt no intimidation when I laid eyes on the enemy.