Chapter 26: Journey

Through the opening of the carriage window, the sunlight seeps through.

It's been a few days since we departed from the village.

So far, it's been a peaceful travelling situation.

Even though some problems came up such as how the carriage seats were uncomfortable to sit in, especially during the times we met bumpy pathways, and how stray monsters like Goblins and Hobgoblins strayed in front of us, the trip until here was uneventful.

That said, if even one of those Goblins made its way here, and casually landed a hit on me, I doubt I would still be relaxing like this. Of course, these two rough birds on my shoulders are far stronger than an average Goblin, and would probably deal with it if it did.

But, with how these guys act, I'm not sure I can place my life in their hands.

There is even a chance, that they might be the one to take my life instead.

Thinking about this topic had ruined my relaxed mood, so let's stop.

Still, regarding how the stray monsters were dealt with, there was only one reason.

I slightly turn my head, and look outside, where a certain man riding a horse, who was clearly stronger than the others who were walking beside the carriage.

He was the reason why no harm came to us during this trip, Borzche-san.

I'm grateful to him and the other escorts from the 'Lotzard' famiglia.

Because if they weren't here, who knows what could've happened.

Since every time a monster came, they quickly got into formation, and defended the passenger carriages, as the merchants were calmly navigating the map behind them.

It just goes to show you how well known their strength was.

Although, their strength is still lacking in my eyes, so much that they can't even reach my feet in terms of raw power. Though I can't say that out loud.

It seems that gradually, my mind had grown arrogant as time passes by.

It's a similar feeling to when I had reached the maximum level in an MMORPG game in the past, while looking at low-leveled new players. Naturally, this was normal for me.

But, can I still treat this world like a game?

I still don't know that.

Of course, I had seen how realistic the people and enemies are here, with their various ideals and lifestyles, completely unlike game NPC's wherein they have no consciousness.

During the time that little demon king attacked as well, I had seen pools of blood and dismembered limbs that was enough to make a normal person empty his stomach.

Either way, I had to take this seriously from now on.

I turn my sight to the sleeping face beside me.

Long, flaxen-colored hair, a mature-like beauty, and giant monuments of...

Well, it was Marielle-san.

She was still unconscious, even though she looked healthy all this time.

I guess curses like this, don't show their effects externally, but internally.

I reflexively reach out my hand, and ruffle her soft hair for a while.

"......"

"....Wake up soon, Marielle-san."

That's right.

No matter how game-like this world was, I had something to do now, that took precedence over everything. The benefactor that gave me a place to stay, made me eat the first delicious meal after arriving here, and the one that taught me many things.