Chapter 3 -- Wrong or Right?

I know this chapter is sorta fillerish but I want to try and put aross the way Viorel's sees his actions. 

The song on the side is World At Our Feet by Joe Brooks. It's amazing and featured at the beginning of this chappie =]

Anyhoo, on with the story

Elle is over and out, chee ;]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cause the sun don't shine here everyday

And there's a world out there to see

I lay away from the dorms on the giant field that we normally had gym classes on. I stared up at the stars – I would surely miss them once I go back onto Earth and into a city. Damn people and their air pollution! My pillow tucked behind my head, next to my I-Pod playing my favourite artist, Joe Brooks and my favourite song, World at Our Feet. A book lay on my stomach, bent back so I didn’t lose my page and breaking the spine.

“You’ll get a cold if you lie out here.” A soft masculine voice said that I could barely hear over my I-Pod. He sat down next to me, his legs crossing near my right arm.

“I’ll be fine; the music stops me from falling to sleep.” I smile politely, getting up and turning the music off. “Aren’t the stars beautiful?”

“They sure are. I’ll miss them when we leave.” Viorel replied, lying next to me, his head on the grass. “They provide me comfort when I worried, scared or regretting what I did to you.” His voice flattered at the end.

“It’s ok, you probably saved me from my own demise instead of doing something terrible.” I turned my head from my own pillow, smirking at him.

“I’m still sorry.” He whispered. He seemed so fragile in that moment. I want to wrap him up in my arms and let him pour his heart out into my chest. But I don’t quite think we are close enough to do that.

Instead, I wrap my hand around his, gripping onto it like life depended on it.

“And I accept it. No way you would have done that if you knew.” I whispered back.

“How do you know that?” He said, gripping onto my hand like I did to his. He depended on my words to forgive himself.

“I can see it in your eyes. Your regret. Your care for other people. Your compassion.” I whispered, smiling gently.

“Thank you, Evelyn Radeke.” He copied my smile.

“Call me Lyn, Viorel. I have a feeling we are going to be spending a lot of time together from now on.”

“Me too, Lyn.” He laughed. It was like music to my ears, music that made me join in.

“Ok, Winners.” Godric stood on the stage, facing half of his school’s population. The half that won the trials – including Viorel and I. “I am happy to announce that you all will be able to be released back onto Earth and guide the human population in whatever path they take.”

He smiled around at his audience. His eyes twinkled at the joy he felt for us who had passed.

“I have a special announcement to make also. Today could stand as a new beginning for those who had lost the path ever so slightly. As you should know, those who kill thrice are condemned to eternal imprisonment. Well, since we come in pairs, what happens if three died at our hand between us? I came up with a plan, they take this course like every one of you but if they fail, they go to imprisonment like the rest. And, of course, they go back to Earth if they pass. Now, I would like you to applause the very first two people to go through this deal: Viorel Novoa and Evelyn Radeke!”

He makes a gesture with his hands, inviting us onto the stage. We rise as the same time, looking each other in the eye, only been an aisle away. I make my way through the people clapping towards the aisle the Viorel was also heading for. We walked side by side down the steps with our heads low. How did this feel as if we are being praised for our mistakes instead of redeeming actions?

This felt so wrong. Viorel’s hand grasped mine, squeezing slightly and telling me he felt the same way.