12 - Marinette

Of course, it did not go unnoticed that Marinette had began to skip on clouds. Nobody questioned her, but it was clear on the faces of Marinette's friends that they liked this Marinette much better. When she went home, she spent hours daydreaming about her cat. When he wasn't there, Marinette did not fret. She simply went about her day. When he did arrive, the two would talk about each other, learn things that they hadn't known before. Marinette, for one, learned that Chat Noir liked the rain. He wouldn't say why, though.

So now, Marinette sat at her desk, falling asleep slowly. As soon as she heard Chat knock on her door, though, she bolted upright and tripped over her feet to greet him. He was shuddering as pouring rain soaked him. Marinette threw her door open, Chat tripping over his numb toes and taking both teens down. Marinette was quick to kick her door shut, and she gripped Chat tightly to her chest. "M-M-ar-r-i..." He shuddered out.

"Chat," Marinette gasped, sitting up with the boy in her lap.

Struggling in only the slightest, Marinette lifted Chat and put him on her bed. She was quick to tug the covers over his body. "Chat, I'm going to get a hot shower going for you, alright? Don't.... don't go anywhere." Marinette put her hands on Chat's cheeks.

"Don't..." Chat whispered.

Regardless, Marinette rushed to her bathroom and made the temperature as hot as possible. She pulled out a spare towel, putting it where she knew he'd see it. "Chat, can you walk?" Marinette asked, returning to Chat.

Chat nodded feebly. Marinette pulled him up and supported him to the bathroom. His teeth were chattering so hard that Marinette could barely hear anything else. "Chat, listen to me. You need to de-transform and get in the shower. The water's lukewarm. As you adjust, turn the water up. Okay?" Chat nodded, shaking.

"I'll be outside if you need anything." Marinette promised, shutting the door as she left.

Marinette saw a bright green flash underneath her door, and Tikki, who'd been observing from the desk the entire time, perked up. "Oh, Marinette, can I see Plagg? Please?" Tikki asked.

"Chat's in the shower... You and I don't need to see that." Marinette shook her head.

Tikki giggled immaturely. "Alright, Marinette." She said, floating into a drawer.

"Marinette, dear, I made croissants - fresh out of the oven! Here, I'll bring some up!" Sabine called.

"Crap." Marinette said, blushing.

She'd have to hide in the bathroom. "Chat, I'm coming in. My mom's coming upstairs!" Marinette hissed through the cracked open door.

"Eh? A-alright. Give me a second." Chat said, rustling around.

Sabine fiddled with Marinette's door. "Alright, I'm coming in, Chat!" Marinette whispered frantically, sliding into the bathroom.

"Marinette?" Sabine asked from the room.

Marinette's blush turned redder as she realized Chat Noir's alter-ego was behind her. And that he was in the shower. "Taking a shower, Mom!" Marinette cringed.

"Oh, alright! I'll leave the food here." Sabine said.

Marinette listened for her mother's leave. Just as Marinette was about to leave the bathroom, Chat stopped her. "Marinette," By force of habit, Marinette turned around.

She spun right back around when she caught sight of a bare chest, despite the steam. "Yes?" She squeaked.

"You needn't be so afraid. I don't bite. Marinette, it's me, Chat Noir. You can look." Chat attempted to reason.

"No, Chat, I-"

"Mari, trust-"

"No!" Marinette said, shaking her head.

"What's wrong, Marinette? Why won't you look and see who I am?" Chat asked.

"First," Marinette sputtered, "You're naked! Second, Chat, I can't! I'll see you differently. I'm not ready to find out, either." Marinette turned further away.

"Alright, Mari. Tell me when you are." Marinette walked from the bathroom.

She collapsed against the wall next to her bathroom door, head in hands. Marinette sighed once, then twice. "I'll never be ready, Chat. We were never supposed to find out." She whispered.

"Yes we were. Yes, we are." Chat responded, stepping from Marinette's bathroom.

Marinette stood up. They looked at each other a minute. Unmoving, they stared into each other's eyes, blue breaking under green. "What happened to you?" Marinette asked.

"It doesn't matter."

Clenching her fits, Marinette asked, "Can we go somewhere we'll be alone?" They both knew Marinette meant the shelter of the Eiffel tower.

When they arrived, Marinette dropped her transformation and turned from Chat. "It does matter!" She yelled into air.

"Mari," Chat began.

"Don't you 'Mari' me! What the hell happened to you? Why did you show up, drenched, barely on your feet? What happened to you?" Marinette asked, harshly whipping around.

When she turned, Chat could see tears sparkling in her eyes. She wasn't trying to be emotional or harsh, but the worry and anxiety of the past while was catching up to her. "Marinette, I was... getting away from something. I stayed out too long and got soaked. I'm sorry for-" Marinette stopped Chat with a look.

Adrien's mother's case had been declared closed. Adrien had yelled in frustration when his father made a rare appearance at his door, explaining the situation. His father had commented harshly at Adrien's anger. "Next time you need to get away, come to me first." Marinette's face softened.

"What kind of girlfriend would I be if I wasn't here for you?" Marinette sighed.

Chat stared at Marinette's face. It was resigned, tired. "G-girlfriend?" Chat asked.

"Well... Y-yeah. Doesn't one tell their boyfriend they love him?" Marinette fiddled with her fingers.

Chat scooped Marinette up in his arms, spinning in a circle and laughing. "Stop it, you dumb cat!" Marinette said irritated.

She smacked his shoulders, and Chat paused, putting her down. "Marinette, what's wrong?"

"Nothing! Everything!" Marinette gestured widely.

"Marinette, what's going on?" Chat came to embrace the girl.

"Nothing. That's just it." Marinette shook her head, crossing her arms.

"Do you want something to happen?" Chat pulled back slightly.

"No. I... I don't know what I'm talking about. Chat, help. I don't know what's going on." Worry creased Chat's forehead.

"Wait, what? Marinette, what's going on?" Chat pulled Marinette closer.

Marinette didn't move. "Marinette?"

"I don't know."

------

AMV in Media section available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggcGVIPkpZY / Search up "Centuries Ladybug" - It's the one uploaded by Dolly Chan.