Handkerchief Memento

The rhythmical movement of the train put Serena into a trance. She has been gently transported to a whole new world, as the sound of her friends drifted off into a void. She rested her head on the palm of her hand, her honey blonde hair cascading from her pink hat, down her back to shoulders, which were ornamented with a black blouse that showed off her tiny physique. She wore her favorite red skirt with black socks that came to her knee and black shoes.

Serena let out a soft sigh. It wasn't that she didn't like her friends, but she didn't feel like she belonged with them. After all, the only thing that she really shared with them was gone, other than shopping, of course; but still, they are her friends. Although Serena knew that she didn't belong with them, she wanted to get out of Kalos and away from the media for a little rest and relaxation.

Ever since earning the title of the Kalos Queen, Serena's life had been turned into what appears to be like a giant photoshoot, which is her version of hell. With the media at every turn, fans constantly asking for autographs and pictures, and boys who drooled over her every day, Serena's mind is overwhelmed with receiving this much attention. And that was only three months ago; yet to her, it felt like a lifetime. When her friends offered her to join them on a trip to Kanto, she didn't hesitate and took their offer. Serena hopes that the people in Kanto would treat her like a normal person again.

She turned to view her traveling companions. The two trainers, who would be competing in the big tournament, we're talking battle strategies and possible matchups that they might face in different rounds. In the seat next to her, sat her longtime friend Bonnie. The blonde thirteen-year-old had quickly made a name for herself as a rising star as both a coordinator and trainer. She was known for her excellent battle strategies, a trait she had picked up from her brother after watching all of his gym battles against challengers back in Lumiose City.

Not to be outdone, the fifteen-year-old battling star of Hoenn sat right across from her. Max Maple was known for his varying battle styles and strategies and for his determination of never giving up. She thought they were cute together. Serena saw so much of him in Max. After all, he was Max's idol, while growing up, and his pieces of advice about determination made a lasting impact on the young trainer. She just laughed, as the discussion began to get more intense.

She looked across from her to another longtime friend, who was Clemont, Bonnie's older brother. The blonde gym leader wore the same blue jumpsuit and glasses that he had worn when they first met back in Santalune City. He was also beginning to get into the conversation since it was most of his battling strategies that Bonnie used to develop her own ideas for battling.

All of a sudden, Serena heard a burst of giggling. She looked at Bonnie and Max and saw the two coordinators sitting on the outside of the aisle. Seated next to Max, was his older sister, May, a beautiful brown haired girl about twenty years old. She wore an orange blouse with a green belt that accented the green bandana she wore on her head. Black leggings could be seen from beneath her short white skirt.

Across from her, sat a girl with blue hair. Her name was Dawn, a nineteen-year-old coordinator who wears a white cap on her head, a black blouse with a pink skirt that's accompanied by pink boots and a pink scarf that she wears around her neck. A blue penguin Pokémon, named Piplup, sat on her lap.

Both girls were fun to talk to about shopping; but outside of that, Serena didn't share much else in common with the two coordinators. They were at the top of their profession, stars in their own right, but they looked upon her profession with strange wonderment. Serena could only smirk at this. It's true. She never really battled with her Pokémon, and yet, she would show them off as good as any appeal round in a Pokémon Contest.

Serena turned her head back to the window. She saw the moon high in the air and the stars dancing around it. The only reason that she had even met with everyone in the group was all because of him. It's been five years since his death. Every day that she didn't keep herself busy, her thoughts would slowly drift towards him. His auburn eyes that burned with passion, but also exposed a soft tender side. His jet-black hair that looks like a jungle sticking out from under his hat; but most of all, she missed his smile. His smile would light up any room that he walked into, which is usually accompanied by his sweet laugh.