4) Not Today

"I think I would remember you having a pet rabbit" Glovanna arched an eyebrow at me, flipping her blond gold hair out of her eyes. She leaned against my desk before the bell rang to start first period.

I breathed a laugh. "Yeah. I think I'd remember too." When I'd arrived home yesterday, we'd had a small funeral in our backyard for a speckled rabbit I'd never seem before. My parents and younger sister were all down in the dumps, especially Annabelle. It wasn't too hard to pretend I was upset, even crying, but I was still extremely confused at the entire situation. I was doing my best to try and shake it all off.

"What if there's aliens trying to communicate with us" Glo stared wide eyes at me. I just rolled my mine and cracked a smile at her attempt to lighten the mood. She succeeded pretty well like always. Glo was a people person. She could make a conversation with anyone. Like the nickname we'd given her, she seemed to glow positive energy everywhere she went. If she wanted to, she could talk her way out anything really.

Glo smiled proudly at accomplishing making me smile. The bell rang to start first hour, so Glo returned to her seat to start class.

********************************

"Stop it, Al!" Kaci hissed at me under her breath. I tried to hid my smirk, but a I just couldn't. Glancing up to make sure the teacher was distracted, I attempted to write 'K + J' on her paper again, but was swatted away with angry hands. Kaci had just confined in me that she'd been crushing on this guy, Joel, for some time now. Kaci sent me daggers as she dared me to try writing on her paper again. I threw my hands in the air in silent defeat, sitting back in my chair acting bored.

I didn't understand Kaci sometimes. She was gorgeous. Being tall, skinny, fit, and all. She could have any guy in this school if she tried. Instead she wore baggy cloths and never dared touch makeup. She chose to befriend me and as far as I knew she'd never had a boyfriend. At times, she seemed to recoil into her music, shutting out the world. Opening to only me and our group. Though I would never tell the others this, I considered Kaci my best friend. I knew her better then myself. Better then maybe she knew herself. She had a strong will and clear mind, she understood what beauty could do to someone.