Chapter twenty

Kaylin POV

"Run!" Beth and Noah shouted at me. I had a clear shot to leave. And I did. I ran to the group, tears flowing down my face the entire time, knowing that I left them. But now I can save them too.

~~

Our small group of survivors from he prison, Abraham, Rosita, and Eugene walk into a large building south of the place our friends were kidnapped. The group has become chaotic without them, were all broken.

~~~

I sit on the edge of the roof, staring off into the broken, burnt city of Atlanta, and the door from the stairs open, revealing Maggie with a tear stained face. Her eyes were puffy and red, as was her face. "Hey, Maggie. Are you alright?" I ask.

"No," she sniffs, "they won't let me go help rescue Beth."

I sigh loudly, and Maggie sits by me, both our feet dangling off the large office building. "They won't let me go, either." Maggie nodded in understanding, knowing I love contributing to the group.

Maggie and I sit on the edge of the roof, not speaking in a comfortable silence. Suddenly, the other door to the roof swings open, and walkers pour out here.

"Shit!" Maggie yells, pulling out her gun and shooting the first one.

"Go, Maggie. I'll hold them off, get the other out of here!" I shout. She hesitantly runs away, and I shoot them one by one with my crossbow. When my arrows are all gone, I throw a knife at the closest one, then stab the remaining bunch.

I quickly collect my ammo, expecting another ambush, when the door we originally came from explodes open with walkers bleeding out the opening. "Fuck,"

~~~

I run through the large building, until I reach the ground floor. I run through the lobby, knocking over a walker, and sprinting out the front door.

The bright light shines directly in my eyes, and I come face-to-face with the sun. The sky is an ugly grey color, and walkers empty out from the building where my group was. 'Run' a voice in my head commanded me.

I wanted to be stubborn, I wanted to stay put, but my legs said run. I ran.

~~~

I collapsed into the streets, my lungs gasping for air, legs aching for me to quit, to shrivel up and die, but i don't. I stand up, and collapse back down in exhaustion, closing my eyes, hoping for my pain to end for good, but it doesn't.

I open my eyes, and see a man staring down at me. Not making any sudden moves, I slowly reach for my knife, and jump up, holding it to his neck. He shrieks in surprise and fear, then shoots a flare into the sky. "What the hell was that for? Who are you?" I question.

"I-I'm Aaron. The flare, I was alerting my boyfriend where I was. I want you to join my group," he whimpers. "I'm Kaylin. I'm not sure I want to join this group of yours." I say, twisting my knife on my finger.

"Well, there's food, water, electricity... People." I glare at him, then smirk. "What makes you think I won't slit all of your throats while you're sleeping. I've killed people before. More people than I'll ever take credit for." I say softly in an intimidating voice, making him gulp.

"It's safe. There's walls, kids your age. You'll be safe." He promises for the billionth time. "Alright-but I'm leaving if I want to, when I want to." I growl, putting the tip of my sharp knife against his small neck.

"So, what's this 'place' called?"

"Alexandria."