xxvi

They keep the windows down, letting the warm air rush through the vehicle, ravaging their hair. They stop at a gas station along the way, and Jack buys Catherina a pair of red, heart-shaped sunglasses and a cherry-flavored lollipop. She licks and sucks it, teasingly, to both the pubescent cashier and to Jack. It doesn't faze him as much, he's grown more used to her ways.

Catherina agrees to listen to his eighties music, and particularly enjoys Sting. She says that her mother always preferred music from the fifties, and she also says that she doesn't know how people in the fifties ever had sex, with everyone being so religious and uptight. Jack smiles, halfway listening. He doesn't really care much about her words, but he loves the way her voice sounds. It ranges from girlish and feminine to a sexy, husky purr. She speaks at just the right pace--not too fast and not too slow. He mumbles something about how he always thought the fifties was quaint.

The dust trails from the spinning tires, the car bouncing along the dirt road.

"I have something to show you later!" Jack yells over the roaring engine. Catherina slaps his knee, and pulls his ear closest to her. "It better be something expensive!" She yells back.

"No--it's better than that!" He replies, but she has her head out the window, her eyes closed and her hair blowing back in the breeze.