x

"Three is just a fantastic number, isn't it?" Jack cheerily says, munching on one of the three chicken breasts his wife had cooked him.

She stares at him strangely, her lips pursed.

"Are you alright, Jack?" She asks, dabbing at her red lipstick with a white napkin. Jack instantly thought of Catherina, and how she wore that same shade to school one day, only to kiss it off on a napkin for 'art'. It looked less tacky on Catherina.

"I'm fine, darling." Jack mumbles.

His wife stares at her plate. She's no longer hungry, and has barely touched her food. Jack doesn't think much of it, because she always eats like a bird.

"I'm not." She says, wiping her clammy hands on the edge of the tablecloth.

Jack pauses his loud chewing and frowns at her.

"What did you say?" He asks, his mouth full. A speck of chicken spits from his lips and lands in her drink. She watches the water swallow it, and the tiny bubbles that trail from it.

"Nothing."

Later that night, when they're lying in bed reading books, she works the courage up to ask him a question that has plagued her mind.

"Why don't you touch me anymore?" She asks.

Jack doesn't respond, and when she looks over he's fallen asleep with his head in a storytale.