Chapter 1: A Paranormal Conundrum

Alex awoke to the sound of clinking and clanging coming from the kitchen. Lifting himself off his back using his elbows, he turned to the left to find Jayden curled up in a ball at his side.

His bright, blonde mop of hair seemed to shine in the streaming sunlight as it covered his face. Alex wasn't surprised to find the lanky body tucked under his covers. Jayden usually crawled in when he claimed he felt afraid, or couldn't sleep.

Phony. They both knew those were lies.

After stretching his body leisurely and admiring his profile in the full-body mirror hung on the back of his bathroom door, Alex threw on a pair of baggy pants he had found near his bed, and left the room.

"Hey," Melody turned to find a drowsy Alex stumbling down the winding staircase. "Who said you could cook me breakfast?"

"Last time I did, you didn't seem to mind," Melody smirked as she set down a plate of steaming eggs and bacon on the oak table, before the bedridden boy.

"Never said I had a problem with it," Alex's words were muffled by the food he was currently stuffing in his face. "But Jay doesn't like it when people take over his responsibilities."

After placing down a buffet of breakfast dishes, Melody took the seat directly to Alex's right and began to twirl her long, brunette strands teasingly. She didn't seem at all surprised at the thought of Jayden creeping into his neighborhood. “You entrusted those responsibilities to me when you gave out your house code.”

Before Alex could retort (as they both knew he would), a distant thump resounded near the foyer. Following a pained groan, came timid footsteps.

“Hey, guys,” Tristan peeked out from the kitchen entryway, a hand clutching the back of his head while he smiled pitiably. “I collected your mail, Alex.”

Through his peripheral view, Alex could see Melody roll her eyes in exasperation.

“Well, gee guys, thanks for cooking my breakfast and getting my mail,” Alex said sarcastically as he snatched the thin bundle of bills and ads. He hated having his home on display for anybody and everybody to see, as if he was a freaking exhibit in a museum. “Now, will somebody please tell me why you guys keep popping up inside my house?”

“We've gotten a hold of a new case,” Syrena's voice resonated in the brightly lit dining room.

Alex's spoon clattered noisily on his bare plate. “Jesus Christ, Syrena!”

Her slim, lithe frame came into view only after the mind-boggled Tristan stepped away from the kitchen archway.

She was fitted in a black, pencil skirt with a simple white blouse which matched the light makeup she sported. All in all, Syrena's outfit seemed much too mature for her small, childlike face. As if she had stolen it from her Mother's closet.

“Could you please say, 'Here,' before spooking us all?” Alex chided.

“Then I'd lose the element of surprise, wouldn't I?” Syrena said blankly as she cocked her head, not expecting an answer. “Anyway, I sent you all here, because I think you'll all be interested in this mystery.”

Alex watched two figures emerge from the upper balcony. A determined Kale dragged the sluggish Jayden down the stairs. Alex muffled a chuckle.

“What of it?” Tristan questioned, curiously.

“Well, a number of murders have been occurring close to an elder man's mansion; bodies substantially mangled and practically unrecognizable. His maids and servants have been disappearing as of late. He's sent a letter pleading for our involvement in these matters because apparently, he's worried for his life and his granddaughters'.” Syrena glanced at her audience with a dark glint in her eye.

At this time, Kale appears behind Syrena, plucking a piece of God-knows-what out of her long strands and Jayden, too tired to walk himself to the table, leans against Kale's shoulder.

“What's so different about this case?” Melody asked, sounding particularly disinterested as she stared out the kitchen window.

“Earlier this week, both Kale and I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Raymond and after a few exchanged words, we had a background check done on him.” Alex furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. Hadn't Syrena said she'd done checks on every request they decided to take up? What was so different about this one? “And the results are very fascinating.”

“It seems that Mr. Raymond has been suspected of torture because of his involvement in a particular cult. He's been funding their projects for a while, but quite recently, I believe about two months ago, he has begun to actually take part in their doings,” Syrena didn't pause. “We've also been doing some research on this cult, and they are... I guess you could say... Peculiar.”

Tristan, voice wavering audibly, was the first to react. “How so?”

“Well, they've been suspected of crucifying a few locals, digging up graves, torturing its' members and even those who struggle to escape their grasp, and stealing different materials from development companies,” Alex is scared shit-less by the time Syrena stops talking.

Melody, on the other hand, is deeply engrossed with her story, and begins to chatter nervously with Tristan, who has, by the time the room's gone silent, relocated to lean against her chair. Jayden, who has finally snapped out of his daze, approaches the back of Alex's seat. Nobody else notices how tense his shoulders are, except him.

So, he pats Alex's back and grins craftily. “We're in.”