Chapter 6

"Hmmm." Addie frowned her forehead poring over the ad section in the newspaper.

"You know, Addie, it's not like I'm throwing you out on the street," said Meredith from above her mug of coffee. "You can stay at my house as long as you like.

"I know," sighed her friend folding the paper with annoyance. "I might just take my cue from you on that. I'm paying less, don't have to trouble myself with the decorating and I have the whole house for myself given the fact that you're practically living in the hospital."

Meredith grinned, "But?"

"But I'm the freaking head of neonatal department at the best hospital on the west coast. I want to have a classy fancy place of my own!"

"Have finally felt the power, haven't you?" snickered Meredith.

Addison crossed her arms behind her head resting comfortably in the chair.

"Andy you can't bring McSteamy to my house. That is really problematic, isn't it?" joked Mer.

Addie shrugged her shoulders, "I'm taking it slow anyway."

"Slow?" Meredith wiggled her eyebrows.

"Slower than that! He has to get rid of the nurses before he lays a finger on me."

"You said you weren't looking for a husband," reminded Meredith slyly.

"I'm still not. I just don't like to share. He needs to make some effort. The lame pick-up lines he uses on nurses won't work on me!"

There was a light knocking on the door and Meredith saw Derek shepherd enter her office.

"Good morning, Dr. Grey, Dr. Montgomery."

"Good morning, Dr. Shepherd," replied Meredith politely. "To what do I owe the pleasure of seeing you so early this morning?"

"You told me to come look for you in your office. If I'm not interrupting…?" he threw a look at Addison.

"Hmmm, I remember clearly telling you to come during my office hours," she pointed at the clock on the wall. "It's five minutes to eight. You're going to walk out of the door and wait patiently until the clock strikes eight a.m., Dr. Shepherd. And to answer your question, you are interrupting."

Derek's lips went into a thin line but he obediently followed his boss's instructions.

"Whoa!" breathed out Addison. "You're feeling the power all right!"

"He's a dick," shrugged Meredith. A big one, she added with amusement in her thoughts.

"Oh, what did you do?" asked Addison suspiciously.

"Who told you I did anything?" said Meredith innocently.

"The silly grin on your face. Is McDreamy… pursuing you?"

"Pursuing?" snorted Meredith. "Come on, are we the heroines of some Victorian novel? McJackass probably came to bitch about George's nomination."

"You really went over the board with this one," remarked Addie.

"I'm not going to explain myself to you too, Addie," Meredith said firmly.

"Fine," capitulated the redhead. "But do you think it's wise? To antagonize them once more?"

"You see, this why I am the Chief."

**********************************************************************************

"Look who's here!" jeered Izzie as George walked into the staff room.

"What are you doing here, Bambi?" asked Cristina. "Shouldn't you be crouching beside your mistress's leg like a good like little dog waiting for orders?"