Chapter 7

"Hmmm, I'm so relieved I don't have to grovel for that."

Meredith spun around to see Derek Shepherd standing on the sidewalk a few feet away, scrutinizing her flat tyres with a frown and finally looking up at her with a grin. Meredith's lips parted indignantly. That bastard! Having fun, Jackass?!

"What are you doing here?" she growled at him.

"Standing and talking to you, Dr. Grey," he replied airily. "Although, technically, what I believe you want to know is what I've been doing here. And my simple answer is that I've been on my way to my car." He pointed at a nearby vehicle with his briefcase. He smirked as he saw her eyes narrow at him. He was playing with fire further setting her off but he couldn't resist. She was so damn hot wearing that scowl on her face.

"What a coincidence!" she folded her arms on her chest looking at him suspiciously.

"Oh, come on," he shook his head in amusement. "I'm a bit too mature for that."

"Seriously, you've been stalking me the whole day, doing that thing with your eyes."

"What thing?" he smirked.

Meredith rolled her eyes, "Get out of my sight before I stop being nice."

" 'Cause that was nice," murmured Derek, completely disregarding her order. He put his coat and his briefcase on the hood of his car and pulled a cell phone to make a call.

"What do you think you're doing? Why are you still here?" huffed Meredith with hostility. The man was relentless in his mission of infuriating her.

"I'm calling the cops," stated Derek. "Don't touch anything. Whoever did that may have left some traces."

"You... you're not my knight in shining... whatever!" she yelled indignantly.

Derek turned away from her, blocking his free ear.

"Yes... Hello," he said to the speaker. "I'd like to report an offence..."

"Argh! Ass!" She was accustomed to men blindly following every word that fell from her lips. Derek Shepherd was always on her way refusing to budge. She found that exasperating and... turning on.

**********************************************************************************

"What are we drinking to?" asked Mark reaching for his bottle of beer.

"You even need to ask? We're celebrating the success of my super domino surgery," boasted Bailey with a self-satisfied smile.

"Seriously? I haven't heard anything," snickered Mark.

"Seriously, I did," Cristina butted in. "She kinda mentioned it once."

"A few times," added Alex.

"All the time," backed him Izzie.

"Shut it, all of you," scolded them Bailey with a grinning face. "Where's Derek?" She searched the area around their booth with her eyes.

"I'm afraid he's not coming," sighed Mark.

"How so?" Bailey frowned her forehead.

"He said he'd take space to do some thinking over."

"About what?" asked Izzie. "Are the rumours true? Is he going to quit?"

"He's been considering that," admitted Mark reluctantly, "but he's not particularly fond of the idea. I think he took Dr. Grey's opinion of him pretty seriously."

"Oh, please," grimaced Erica from her corner. "He should know better than to pay attention to what she says. He's a class above her."

"I can't wait until he snaps and takes her on," sniggered Cristina. "He needs to regain his cocky neurosurgeon backbone. He's been dragging his ass over the hospital like a lost puppy while she's roaming like busy bee queen. This condescending attitude won't get him anywhere."