Chapter 21

"Ah, Ms. Matthews please sit down." The counselor says pointing to the chair in between Lucas and Farkle. I slowly move across the room anxious to find out what they have told the counselor. "It has been brought to my attention that you have been having some issues."

I put on my sweetest smile and reply "i don't know what you are talking about."

Lucas turns to me. "Why are you doing this Riley?" I turn away no longer able to look at his sad face. "Please stop shutting us out."

"This isn't your problem to deal with it's mine and i don't need your help."

"And what is this problem Ms. Matthews?" asks the counselor.

Farkle takes over and says "there are cuts on her wrist and she won't tell us what happened."

"Is this true Ms. Matthews?"

The is a long pause before I quietly respond, "yes, but it's only because i am clumsy and i accidentally dropped a knife while i was cooking. I'm fine."

The counselor dismisses Lucas and Farkle, and talks to me for a few minutes to clear the story. He seems to believe me so he lets me go back to class. Walking out of the office, i run into Lucas and Farkle. They had been standing at the door waiting for me.
"We know that story isn't true Riley. You aren't a good liar." Farkle says.

"You don't have to believe it, but it's true." I respond, not able to look either of them in the eyes.

"Farkle can you leave us alone for a little bit." Lucas says. I can feel the heat of his stare. I hear Farkle's footsteps fade and feel Lucas hug me.
I don't hug back. How could I? He betrayed me. I asked them not to say anything, and told them that I could handle it myself. Lucas sensing my awkwardness steps back. "I know you are mad at me, but I can't stand to see you like this Riley. You mean to much to me to let this happen."

"Lucas, I shouldn't mean anything to you. Maya and you dated for a long time. I can't be with you after that. I'm sorry if that isn't the way you wanted this to happen, but I can't do that to her."

"Maya shouldn't be in charge of our relationship. We can make our own decisions. I just don't care Riley. I like you and I want to be with you." He steps toward me and kisses me. It is slow and deep. He puts his hand on my cheek, but i step back.

"Lucas..." He kisses me again and i forget everything. He is the only thing I can think of, all of the bad things rush out of my head.

We stop and he places his forehead on mine, his hands on my face. "Please Riley tell me why?"