Chapter 1

♪Chapter Song♪

"Grace Kelly" by MIKA

(I don't own it)

---

Chapter 1

AS I ENTER their home, I feel super tense. I stutter a hesitant hello to Mrs. Hawke as I enter her home. The scent of lasagne and apple cider invades my nostrils, causing my stomach to roar in greed for the meal. Luckily, no one hears it.

I take a quick glance around. Mrs. Hawke seems to have great taste in scenery. The lighting in her home is perfect, candles and lamps illuminating the space perfectly. Her furniture is a mix of tan, black, and brown. She has a brown L-shaped leather couch pressed against the wall and a wide, matching coffee table that puts distance between the sectional and the large, seventy-something inch flat screen television. Pictures rest on walls and atop cabinets and the furniture set.

Below the television, an xBox 360 game system sits untouched, calling for me to play. I love video games, but now isn't the right time to ask.

"How are you, dear? Call me Careen," She says with authenticity, breaking my reverie. Her smile is far from the smirk that Andrew wore when he saw me in that window. She has a real smile, not some sarcastic grin.

I resist biting my nails by clamping my hands on my sides and nod my head. "I'm fine, thank you," I whisper, quickly excusing myself from her presence and her smile.

Human instinct leads me to their beautiful dining room. The table is a giant circle, able to seat as many as ten people. The wood looks aged and smooth, ass if it was passed down through many generations. Of all things, however, it's the chandelier that catches my eye. It's the most extravagant thing I've ever seen in person.

My family is pretty well off, but this? This is the home of a very wealthy family.

I take a seat in the chair closest to the door. Seeing that there are only enough chairs for six people for the moment, I figure that I'll either have to sit next to Andrew or between the adults.

Sucks major butt.

Simultaneously, Mr. and Mrs. Hawke come from the living room, followed by my parents. I take it that they were in polite conversion.

Everyone takes a seat, save Mrs. Hawke and Erin. They go to the kitchen to get the food and drinks.

Andrew isn't in sight so I get excited. Maybe he ditched and stayed in his room or something. I wouldn't be upset at all!

"Andrew, come downstairs!" His uncle yells at he's settling himself in his seat. My hopes shatter.

No response comes from upstairs and I roll my eyes. Rebellious, huh? How surprising.

Not.

"Hey, Willow, how are you?" Mr. Hawke asks brightly. His blue eyes crinkle at the edges when he smiles and I find comfort in his wise face.

I sit up a bit straighter. "I'm pretty good, Mr. Hawke," I whisper.

"Call me Charlie, dear. That title makes me feel old."

"You are old!" Mrs. Hawke yells from the kitchen. In the distance, I hear Erin and Mrs. Hawke cracking up with laughter. I bite the inside of my cheek to suppress a giggle.

"Very funny, Careen," Mr. Haw- Charlie says sarcastically. Dad starts laughing in a jovial fashion and I remain silent.

I set my phone in my back pocket, bored, and tap my fingers against my knees under the table. Unexpectedly, a body plops into the chair next to me and I don't even have to turn my head to know who it is.