Chapter three.

I suddenly heard the loud beeping of Jessie's alarm and realised, to my surprise, that I'd actually got a solid three hours sleep. Feeling proud of myself, for once, I tumbled out of bed and went downstairs to get breakfast. After I'd eaten, I got ready and waited for Jessie to get ready and Phoenix to arrive, and the morning carried on like normal.

After school had finished, I walked over to the bench to wait for Phoenix and Jessie and sat down, but I hardly had time to think before they came sundering over to me. As I got up, I saw Jessie surveying me with beady eyes. 'I've had an idea.' She whispered.

We waited until everyone had left the clearing, where they were out of ear shot, before we walked down the hill. 'So, what's your big idea then?' I said in one of those what's-it-going-to-be-this-time voices.

Jessie looked at me sterly and reached inside her bag to produce a large, crumpled newspaper.  

'What's that?' I questioned. 

'I was just about to get to that , actually. Well, I was looking through this paper at lunch when I came across this little advertisement.' She said proudly while pointing at a little square to the side of the paper that read 'Lovebirds' in bold, baby pink writing.

Lovebirds? What's she on about? I thought.

'The advert says that on the 14th December, there is going to be a winter ball at the town hall. It says it's a winter ball for couples.' She folded up the paper and grinned at me and Phoenix.  

'WHAT?' I shouted, my eyes flickering between her and Phoenix. What is she thinking?! My mind was spinning and my heart thumping.

'No, no, no." She replied. 'Mum!'

'Mum?!' I gasped. This idea was more preposterous than I first thought!

'Now, this may seem slightly silly-'

'SLIGHTLY?!' I interupted, my voice getting louder and louder. 'You must be having us on! You can't be serious! Mum won't even come down to get breakfast!'

She just looked at me and signed and Phoenix seemed too scared to even talk to me. Sometimes I really wish I didn't have such a temper.

The rest of the journey was rather quite after that. As we got to the front door, we said a a quick goodbye to Phoenix and went inside.

'I can't believe you.' Snarled Jessie. 'You always want something good to happen, and you completely dismis my idea, like it's so bad. I'm not stupid, you know?!'

'I know you're not stupid. It's just whether it will happen or not. It's highly unlikely it will, so there's no point in getting our hopes up over it.' I replied, swinging my bag off my shoulder and on to the sofa.

Jessie said nothing, she just stared into my eyes.

'Look. I want to do something. Whether it works or not, we've tried.' Jessie said, suddenly breaking the silence, which I was actually enjoying.

I didn't reply, just grumbled.

'I'll take that as an 'okay' then? I guess.' Jessie replied bitterly before turning her back towards me and storming off into the living room.

I felt no energy to go and follow her so I took my bag and went upstairs to my bedroom, I was sure to get some peace in there, but I was wrong.

As soon as I opened the door, I fell straight onto my bed as floods of thoughts filled me. 'Maybe her idea was just what you've been waiting for?' 'Who will she go with?' 'How do we even find someone for her to go with?!' I thought.

My fingers carefully tapped the old, large oak cabernet next to my bed. What would dad say? He'd want mum to be happy, like me. After all, that was my simple Christmas wish. I sighed heavily and just about managed to pull myself up. I slowly made my way out of my room and downstairs where I saw Jessie sat at Dad's old desk, humming to herself.

"You got homework then?" I questioned, leaning over her shoulder. But, as I got closer, I realised it didn't look much like your average homework. She'd drawn what looked like a map of our village, and on another sheet of paper was a table with the headings 'Advantages' and 'disadvantages'.

'What? Oh, this? Um...well-' She muttered.

'Wait, before you tell me.' I interruped. I heard her gulp. 'I've had a sort of...change of heart, you could say. Now, as long as you promise you know what you're doing. We can go ahead with your idea.' I said, rather quickly.

'Oh, I see.' She replied, moving the pieces of paper towards me, so I could take a better look.

I pulled up a nearby chair and placed it by the desk. As I sat down I realised the work she'd gone through to draw it up. 'Wow' I mouthed. She must have been working at this for days. 'Hm' Jessie replied, sliding it back across the desk towards her. 'I'm guessing you're not too keen on the idea?' I joked, sarcastically.

'Not at all.' She replied.

I suddenly felt a glimmer of hope rise inside me. Maybe, just one day, we'll be happy again. We'll have my simple Christmas wish.