Chapter 4...

I was sat cleaning in between the nozzles on my mixing desk with headphones around my neck blasting Cheryl's music when Amy knocked on my door and walked right in.

She sat on my bed and crossed her legs. I sarcastically looked to the door and called, 'Who's there? Oh hello Amy, yes come right in, please(!)'
'Shut up Kimberley.' Amy sighed.

I switched the music off and sat facing her on the bed.
'D'you ever stop listening to that woman?'
'No.' I smiled. 'You should stop having a go and actually listen to her properly one day.'
'I'm not in here to talk about Cheryl Cole, Kim.'
'I know.'
'I want to know about mum.'
'Why?' I asked. 'Why all of a sudden are you so interested in her?'
'I dunno! I've been thinking about her for ages now, more than ever... I just want to know why she left, is that so awful?'
'No... I don't even know myself, I--'
'But you think you do.' Amy pushed. 'I just want to know something, I'm sick of knowing nothing.'

I started biting my nails. Amy did the same.
'I was only five...' I said slowly. 'But I remember them arguing all the time about money.'

Amy leaned forwards slightly, resting her chin in the palm of her hand.
'I just remember, Dad was working all the hours under the sun, I think at one point he had three jobs... obviously she was here looking after us lot... but he'd come home and they'd just fight all the time.'
'How d'you remember if you were only five?'
'Yeah... but it's not something you forget too easily.'
Amy shuffled forward on the bed a tiny bit. 'What about when she left?'
I nodded. 'I watched her go.'
Amy just waited.

'I remember their arguing waking me up... I heard them outside and went to the window and she was walking off with her bags. Dad was devastated, he kept shouting that he'd try harder and he'd get another job. He said he'd do anything. But she still went.'
'You really remember that?'
'Like I said it's hard to forget.' I shrugged. 'You weren't even one then.' I added softly.
'And... what, she never came back? Not even once?'
'That was the last I saw of her.'
Amy was silent for a minute. Then she said, 'where d'you think she is now?'

I swung my legs off the bed and went back and sat at my mixing desk. 'I don't know Amy, and I don't care. Dad raised us. Maybe you should concentrate on treating him with a bit more respect. You know, appreciate the parent that stuck with us rather than waste time thinking about the one who walked out on us.'

I expected Amy to kick off then. I kind of wanted her to; I wasn't used to deep, intimate conversations with my sister and it had made me uncomfortable. She was the one I was used to arguing with, so this kind of conversation was a bit surreal.
But she didn't make a sound. I heard my bed creak as she got off it and thought she was leaving.
Then all of a sudden she wrapped her arms around my shoulders and gave me a tight hug. It was so unexpected I jumped slightly.

'Thanks Kim.' She muttered and she practically ran from the room.

Once I got over the shock, I lay on my bed and tried to get up the courage to actually send the message I had been writing, deleting and rewriting to Cheryl since that afternoon.

'@CherylCole: Lol you'd think u had better things to do with ur time than give people mini heart attacks! :P Why are u so eager 2 see this tattoo anyway haha xxx'

I set my phone down, but to my surprise it buzzed again only a minute or two later, and I had to supress a squeal as another message from Cheryl came through. She must be online right now!

'@ShiverMeKimbers: Well I entertain u lot all the time it's only fair I should entertain meself using u all sometimes! Its funny I LOVE tattoos SO MUCH, plzzzz u have 2 show me *bbmeyelashface*'

'@CherylCole: u amuse easily don't u lol x erm since u ask so nicely I might do, once its less red and stuff. Ok? : ) x'

'@ShiverMeKimbers: I'll hold u 2 that! Be warned I'll be comin after u if u back out! u busy right now? Xxx'

'@CherylCole: Wow, that would be terrible... just kiddin x No not busy, why? : ) x'

'@ShiverMeKimbers: Oh good! Tell me about urself, I wanna know things Xxx'

'@CherylCole: Really? What kind of things? X'

'@ShiverMeKimbers: Everything! I'm nosy how bout ur real name to start with, although I think I can guess lol and what u do and stuff... when ur not on twitter that is. That ok? xx'

'@CherylCole: don't u have 19 other ppl to DM? jst kiddin lol, go on then guess my name... if u get it wrong u don't get 2 see the tattoo! x I'm studying English at uni (last yr) and work parttime in a music shop.. That alright for now? xx'

I sat up a little on the bed, pushing my pillows up and sitting more comfortably. I grinned to myself, going back up and reading the previous messages, something I knew I would be doing for probably another five years. Maybe later I could sit back and wonder if this really happened.

My phone flashed again as another message came through.

'@ShiverMeKimbers: Sorry shall I go away? Haha I've DMed 1 or 2 others but I'm intrigued by u... Kimberley? I'm right, right? so I'll b waiting 2 see that tat! so that makes u 20 or 21 ye? It also makes it past ur bedtime if ur in uni 2morow! Naughty Oooh, a music shop, what kind? : ) xxx'

I stared at the message for a long time, not even trying to form a reply in my head. She was intrigued by me? What did that mean? Why was she intrigued by me as opposed to the nineteen other people she had followed since yesterday?

'@CherylCole: No ur fine where u are lol x u got it, damn x yeah I'm 21 so I don't have a bedtime & and I'm not tired yet : ) er, it does like hitech expensive gear, the kind u might use in studios, or if ur a DJ or like collectin old equipment that kinda stuff. x'

'@ShiverMeKimbers: Yey! Hi Kimberley xx oooh sounds cool I mite have to come in and have a look round sometime! x are u in uni early I don't want 2 keep u up babe xx'

Oh my God she just called me babe. I was about to reply when another message came through from her.

'@ShiverMeKimbers: Rawr, I have 2 go *bbm not interested face* : ( I'll be back on u about that tat soon tho so don't u forget! And *sshhh*, but I think ur my fave follow so far sweet dreams Kimberley xxxx'

Numbly, with my eyes wide and my mouth slightly open, I typed back,
'@CherylCole: I wont forget, promise. Awh, no way! Dw you've always been my fave follow : ) night Cheryl xx'

**

Just as I was getting in bed that night, Sarah rang me.

'Hi.'
'You asleep yet Kim?'
'Yeah, I'm well away in dreamland Sarah, clearly.' I laughed, rolling my eyes.
'Very funny! D'you want a lift tomorrow?'
'If you don't mind that'd be good.'
'Ok, no problem. So, did she message you back?'
'Ah, and there's the real reason she rang.' I smirked.
'Yeah whatever, so come on, has she?'
'Yep.' I said, unable to contain myself. I jumped on the spot slightly and squealed. 'In fact, we were messaging back and forth for ages just an hour or so ago.'
'You're shitting me!' Sarah gasped. 'Can I see tomorrow?!'
'No chance!'
'Awh come on...'
'No way. They're mine.' I laughed.
'I'll just steal your phone.' Sarah said smugly. 'I've done it loads in the past and you never noticed.'
'*Female Dog*! Anyway there was never anything interesting on it then... and I already thought of that. There's a password on my phone Sarah so nice try.'
'Well that's hardly gonna baffle me, the password's probably Cheryl!' Sarah laughed loudly and I had to hold the phone away from my ear for a second.

'Yeah right, as if I'd be that obvious! Leave my phone alone Harding.'
'Spoil sport.' Sarah said. 'I'm only kidding honey.'
'I know you are.'
'I'll see you in the morning.'
'Night.'
'Night Kim.'

I hung up and crawled into bed, switching the lamp off. Turning on my side still holding my phone, I checked my alarm was on, then quickly changed my password from 'Cheryl' to something else before setting it down and closing my eyes.