Prologue

"Here Uncle, let me help you with those." "No, Lass. I got 'em." "You over work yourself. Now let me help, you stubborn ox!" We carried the extra weapons to one of the many armouries at the front gate. "Here, I can manage to place them where they go." I gave him the weapons and waited for him to put them away. As I waited, I seen Prince Thorin ascend the stairs of the front gate. "He looks quite handsome today." I thought to myself. "Aye, he does. Doesn't he?" Uncle Dwalin said. Oops. I thought I said it in my head. I blushed furiously, "Not one word." He laughed at me and patted me on the back. " Don't worry lass. Your secret is safe with me." "So where is Papa?" "He's on watch." He pointed above us. Suddenly we heard Thorin yell,"Dragon!" We look up and see fire blow over the gate. "Papa!" I screamed and ran up the stairs before Dwalin could stop me. "Papa, Papa?!?!" I hugged him tight. I saw the dragon destroying the city of Dale. Thorin grabbed my arm, "Ember, what are you doing here? You need to leave." "No, I can fight!" "Ember! Ember, go find your mother. Run, get out of the mountain. I'll find y'all afterwards." "Papa, I won't leave you!" I sobbed. Thorin dragged me down the stairs. "Go, Stay safe Ember." "Mama? Mama!?!?" I cried, running though vast halls. "Ember! Hurry we must leave." We hear the Dragon smash his way through the gate. Fire. There is fire everywhere. People screaming and others lie dead on the floor. "Hurry child! We must hurry!" Mama hid me behind a stone pillar. The Dragon had seen us and turned his attention to us. Mama turned to me, " Ember, always follow your heart. I love you." She ran towards the gate and fire consumed her. "MAMA. NOOOOOOO!" Then the flames consumed me and the pain was unbearable. The dragon roared and stalked off further into the kingdom the last thing I saw was Thorin helping his father run out of the kingdom. Darkness fell over me and I welcomed death, but sadly it never came.