Chapter 6 - The Church

Benny quickly paid for the breakfast and Rosie gave us a wave before Benny led us back out of the café and down the road. The sky was significantly brighter than the hour previously and I took a moment to study Benny's face as it narrowed in concentration. He seemed determined to go to wherever we were going and it peeked my interest, despite the niggle at the back of my mind in regards to the abrupt end of our conversation.

Benny slowed down as we crossed the road and I glanced up to see what seemed to be a church. I opened my mouth to ask what we were doing standing outside a church, never mind a deserted one, but he pulled me further along, his mouth curling at the edges as we trotted up the steps towards the main doorways.

"I used to come here all the time as a kid. I think the building is beautiful. I'm not very religious but seeing it so empty makes it so peaceful. There's no distractions." He turned towards me and grabbed my hand. "I don't usually take people here but I thought you'd appreciate the architecture."

I glanced upwards and gasped, my mind turning blank as I took in the magnificent stained glass windows and the intricate designs created in the ceiling. He led me further into the church and I was surprised to find the place literally bare of furniture. He wasn't kidding when he said the building was empty, though I did understand what he meant. With just us standing there everything was so quiet and peaceful. I almost didn't want to interrupt such a beautiful silence. "It's beautiful."

He squeezed my fingers, leading me further into the building. "I knew you'd like it. I love this place."

"I knew it was here but I didn't know you could go inside."

Benny shrugged, his head tilting back to admire the statues around the walls. "Not many people come in here. Every so often you'll get an elderly couple. Teenagers respect this place so they never linger. It's probably one of the only places where you can have a group of people and everyone is content with just standing here in silence admiring the artwork."

I walked further into the room so that I was stood directly in the middle of it. "Imagine having your wedding here."

He laughed quietly and I turned towards him as he walked in a circle. "That's what I thought too. It would be perfect. I'd say it's a shame that it's empty but I think that's the beauty of it."

I nodded in agreement. "Yeah. If I ever got married in here then it would have to be just like this. I wonder why it's empty."

"They ran out of funds so they shut it down and the priest moved to another church. I don't think anyone could bear closing the doors so it informally stays open for the public to view it. Of course, people of the community make sure it's kept in good repair and cleaned to an extent. I don't think people mind helping out when it's such a beautiful building. It would be a waste to see it go down."

"Have the others seen this place?" I asked as I spun in a circle to try and get the most out of what I was seeing.

"Jim saw it once but he didn't get it. He didn't appreciate its beauty."

"That sounds like Jim."

"I think if Carrie said she liked it then he'd probably come here more often. I've found that so long as she is happy then so is he. Gail comes the most." He suddenly closed his mouth and turned away and a new wave of guilt met me. He definitely thought I was interested in Gail after the conversation before and I hadn't meant to give that impression.

I stepped forward and gently took his hand. "Speaking of which, I'm sorry about before." I saw him look up but I wasn't finished yet, my fingers squeezing his tighter. "I didn't mean to ask about him the way I did. I was just curious about the person who can get him to talk. It's not because I'm interested in him."