Chapter 4 - Surprising Occurrences

After Carrie and I helped each other get into our dresses, we stumbled down the stairs in fits of giggles. Everything was hilarious whenever we drank and I was glad that my mind was so murky to prevent myself dwelling over the past. Instead, I wanted to just get out there and have a good time without worrying about what I was doing. It had been a while since I'd gone out and not been restricted by a relationship. This time I was going newly single and ready to meet some new people.

We all piled into the taxi and Carrie jumped up and down in her seat as she turned excitedly to her husband. They probably didn't go out too much except for a casual drink so this was like a blast from the past. I could tell how excited they both were by the looks on their faces. I made a mental note to organise another night out soon. Carrie and Jim weren't going to be able to do this after having a baby so they had to make the most of it.

There was a pub in the middle of town which Carrie and I always used to go to when we used to go out for a girls night. It was one of the cheapest pubs in the town which had enough room to act like a nightclub without having the younger generations coming through the doors. Most people who didn't want teenagers who pretended to be older than what they were usually came to this place and I'd met many friends on nights out when attending. To say that I was excited was an understatement.

Benny ran his hand to my back to help me out of the taxi and I smiled drunkenly up at him, thankful for the help. I'd managed to sober myself up a bit but I'd still drank enough to be blurry and incredibly wobbly. Carrie led the way with Jim hot on her heels, Gail bringing up the rear.

Since he'd kissed me, Gail hadn't really tried communicating with me again and I'd assumed that I'd just caught him on the off chance that he had let his guard down. The fact that he was quiet again didn't bother me because Benny was loud enough for the both of them. He had been making me laugh most of the night with his cheesy pick up lines and playful comments to the extent that I'd almost completely forgotten that Gail was with us.

However, once we entered the pub the music rushed straight to my head and I automatically started to sway my body to the music. There was space on the bottom floor where the whole room was a dance floor. The bar was situated up three steps with a small area for booths if people needed a break. I enjoyed this pub better than the nightclubs because the music wasn't so loud that I couldn't hear what people were saying.

Carrie and Jim automatically started dancing, pulling themselves into the rush of the cluster of people. I watched jealously as Jim twirled Carrie in a circle and started dancing with her, catching her hips with his hands as he rolled their bodies together. They had always been so together, even on a night out. When they were together it was as if no one else existed. Seeing how adoringly Jim looked at Carrie made the buzz come out of my steps a little. Why the hell could Harry not look at me that way?

Before my brain started to hurt, I felt my hand being taken and I giggled as Benny dragged me towards the married couple, pushing through the crowds to stand beside them. He turned to me and bowed and I laughed, my sadness depleting as he kissed my hand and spun me into position, grabbing my fingers to move me to the music.

I had to admit that Benny was a great dancer. He moved perfectly to the rhythm and swayed me backwards and forwards to synchronise with him. I laughed continuously as he moved me round, completely lost in my own world as he allowed me to let go of my thoughts and just dance.

It must have been half an hour before Benny finally slowed and pulled me close to whisper in my ear. "Do you want a drink?"

I nodded and grabbed his hand and he beamed at me before pulling me towards the bar, leaving Carrie and Jim to disappear into the sea of people. I wiped my brow and let out a breath as he dropped his hand to my waist and pushed me gently towards the bar.