21.0

"Mrs. Ball!" Brad basically screamed her name from the doorway of Connor's room.

Within seconds, Kelly was upstairs and by her son's side. Her face screamed panic as she started to shake Connor, trying to wake him. She had already called an ambulance on her way up. She just knew.

It was bound to happen soon.

That didn't stop her from wishing for it to never happen. Her heart and soul went into taking care of this boy. Lewie would be all she had. She couldn't stop thinking of the worst possible things. He can't be gone, right? There's no way Connor would give up that easily. As if he had a choice.

"Connor, baby, please wake up. Everything's okay, you don't have to go now." Kelly cried beside her son. Her precious angel.

The small boy's lips were a shade of blue, his skin paler than it had ever been before. His skin was cold and his fingers were freezing. He looked peaceful, wearing his favourite beanie and Brad's sweatshirt. His eyes were lightly shut and his lips were turned down in a relaxed frown.

Somewhere amidst the chaos, Brad had found himself in a panic. He had moved to the corner of the sick boy's room and picked up one of Connor's hats before sliding down the wall and pulling his knees to his chest. Everything seemed to be crashing down. What the hell would he do without Connor? Connor was his purpose.... His everything.

When Brad looked up again, he could see through his tears that the paramedics had arrived and had started to inspect the small boy.

"He's still breathing." One of them announced as another picked him up.

It was if a giant tidal wave, a tsunami even, of relief had crashed into the dark room. Connor's mom let out a scream of relief through her pathetic crying. She was a mess. Brad stood quickly and followed the paramedics, dragging Kelly behind him.

In a major rush of things, Kelly, Lewie, and Brad all piled into the Ball minivan and quickly drove behind the ambulance. The faint sound of one of Connor's favourite songs was playing in the background, but it was drowned out with thoughts. If they had dodged a bullet this time, what could happen next time? When would he really be gone? Brad knew that life without his Connor would be more than dull. Connor brought light and colour into his life despite how much he was constantly struggling. He would never show how much pain he was in. He was always hurting. It never stopped.

The day was calm, bright, and almost too quiet. There was no traffic, and it seemed no one existed. Looking around outside only showed empty streets. The sky was clear, not a single cloud in the sky. It was almost too perfect of a day. Brad hated it.

Didn't anyone know that Connor was struggling for air? Didn't anyone care other than him and the sick boy's family?

Brad hoped that Connor's dad felt like the piece of shit he is. Yes, its harsh. But he deserved it. He put an innocent boy through daily pain for no reason. Connor was too precious to deal with this. He was fragile, gentle. Comparatively, a ballerina in a snow globe that had cracked open. The cracks wouldn't stop growing.

Once they arrived in the hospital, none of them hesitated to run straight for Connor. The small boy looked so tiny on the rollaway bed. He was curled up with his knees to his chest and his eyes still shut. It was a pitiful sight, seeing him with an oxygen mask on his beautiful face with doctors surrounding him.

As Brad was staring at him, he got distracted and ran straight into a brick wall. Wait, it wasn't a brick wall at all.

"You can't come back right now, son." The doctor who he ran into said firmly.

Brad didn't retaliate or return to Kelly and Lewie. He only started bawling in the middle of the floor. He collapsed to his knees, burying his face in his hands. The image of Connor on the bed was etched into his head. He would never be able to unsee it. All of his struggling was always so graceful.

Connor made it look easy to be dying.

A/N

That was really hard to write. Excuse me while I wipe my tears. *sniff*

Anyway, here's a rundown of how this book is going to go to its end.

22.0

23.0

Epilogue

A letter to my readers

Thank you for reading, here's a tissue