Chapter Four

I awoke with a start. I was breathing heavily and sweat was dripping from my face. I had a nightmare that felt very realistic. I was running from someone who was trying to kill me. I ran into a forest that was thick with enormous oak trees with roots sticking up everywhere. I ran as hard and as fast as I could until I reached the edge of the forest. It ended at a steep cliff edge. I came screeching to a halt and then I felt a large gust of wind on my back and knew it was the man trying to kill me. I slowly turned around to face him and gasped in horror as I saw a face I had grown so used to. He approached me slowly, taking one menacing step after another, until he reached me. He reached out a hand and stroked my cheek gently and said "my dear sweet sweet Viktoria, how I've longed for this moment. You have no idea how much pain you cause me being with him...that freak of a prince. He doesn't deserve you! I do though. I love you more than you will ever know!" As he told me this he was crying and I wanted to reach out to him but I was to terrified by the look on his face. One of pain and anger and sadness and..love? And then he shoved me off the edge of the cliff and flew away as I fell to my death. After I replayed the memory in my head several times I decided to get up and try to find the bathroom so I could take a shower and let the hot water wash away that bad dream. I fumbled around on the bedside table for the lamp and knocked into something that felt like a picture frame before I finally found the lamp. I turned it on and took a look at what I knocked over. As I had guessed it was a picture frame made out of beautiful wood carved into an intricate design all the way around. The picture it held was one of a beautiful woman holding a baby in her arms. At first I thought it was a sweet picture of a mother and her child but as I looked closer I saw that there were wings on her back. It wouldn't have been visible to any normal human but it was to me because I've been able to see things like this since I was a baby. Ghosts and goblins, imps and Fae, Elven people of the woods and the Devils, Angels and Demons, and even those who have fallen. I thought it was a bit strange but I decided to brush it off and go search for the bathroom. I set the picture down, back on the bedside table, and climbed out of the huge bed. My feet hit a soft plush carpet which felt nice compared to the cold bare wood in my room. I padded around the room softly looking for a closet so I could search through the clothes and see if I could find something to change into after my shower. In the far left corner of the room there was a looming wardrobe that I struggled to pull open. After fighting to open it for about fifteen minutes it finally gave way. Thankfully the struggle wasn't for nothing. The wardrobe was full of beautiful gowns, adorable tops, and comfortable looking pants and it also contained other essentials. After grabbing the essentials I looked through the clothes and decided on a maroon dress that had the half and half shoulder straps. The ones where part of it was a strap and the rest fell off your shoulder. Those were my favorite types of shirts and dresses. It also had beautifully and expertly hand sown black roses embroidered on the front starting from the waist and going all the way down. Now that I had a change of clothes I headed out of the room in search of the bathroom. The hallway seemed to stretch on forever and everything looked the same. I eventually found my way to a bathroom after going down several dead end hallways and getting lost many times. This bathroom was exquisite. It was decorated similar to the room I was in, same color scheme but a different pattern. The floor was plain black and the walls were chevron print in red and black, there were two sets of doers as well. A red set that led to the showers and a black set that led to the bath. I decided to head to the bath since that would be much more relaxing for me and I could try to process everything that's happened so far.