Part 4/13

...Accidentally in Love: Part 4/13...

~It's always nice to make an impression.~

Emma took a deep breath, as she rang the doorbell. Her mother answered the door a moment later and her mouth immediately dropped open at the sight of Killian's parents. David stood behind her and had the same reaction.

"Oh, um, hello," she said, stepping aside to allow all four inside.

Killian gestured to Gus and Martha. "My apologies. I neglected to mention I am adopted. It's just not something I think about much. My parents are just my parents."

Mary Margaret nodded, as she extended her hand to them. "Of course. It is so nice to meet you."

"Simon Jones," Gus said. "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

"Clara Jones," Martha said. "I am so pleased to meet you."

Emma tried to hide her shock at how much their accents had improved. They actually sounded somewhere in the vicinity of an English accent now. Killian must be a very good coach.

David tilted his head at them. "Your accents are very unique. What part of England do you originate from?"

Killian answered before they could. "They are originally from Manchester."

David nodded. "Ah, I knew their accents sounded familiar."

Mary Margaret gestured to the dining room. "Why don't we move to the dining room to begin dinner?"

The Nolans sat on either end, Emma and Killian sat beside each other, and Gus and Martha sat across from them.

As the appetizer was served, Mary Margaret addressed Gus and Martha. "I hear you both work for the Royal Family. That must be such fascinating work. What do you do?"

Emma watched them carefully, hoping they had enough time to memorize the information she had given them.

Gus went first. "I work for the Private Secretary. We serve as a channel of communication between the Head of State and the government. We also organize programs for the Queen and oversee public appearances and events."

David nodded his head. "That is a very big responsibility."

"That it is," Gus said.

"What about you, Clara?" Mary Margaret asked.

Martha had a mouth full of food and began to speak, but Emma kicked her under the table. She held up a finger politely, chewed, and swallowed before beginning. "I work for the Privy Purse and Treasury Office. We oversee the financial operations."

"Such an important job," Mary Margaret said. She smiled at Killian. "Your parents are very distinguished."

He bobbed his head. "That they are. I am very proud of them."

David smirked. "Ah, but we all know the Royal staff is privy to juicy information about the Queen. Care to share any?"

Emma bit her lip nervously.

Gus nodded. "Well, the Queen has a mustache that she gets waxed weekly."

Emma exchanged a worried look with Killian, but sighed in relief when her parents burst out laughing.

Martha went next. "The Queen is frightened of the dark and sleeps with a nightlight."

Again, they all laughed. They fell into a comfortable conversation after that. Emma began to relax. Maybe they could pull this off after all. She caught Killian's eyes and offered him a smile. She may have been too hard on him. Gus and Martha were playing their parts very well.