Part 10/13

~If it can be broken, then that means it still works.~

A month and a half passed. Emma and Killian were miserable without each other, but both tried to carry on the best they could. Emma worked non-stop and hadn't spoken to her parents since that night at the restaurant. Killian immersed himself in work and school to try to keep his mind off Emma.

In two weeks, Emma would be able to claim the rest of her trust fund and this whole thing would be over. Then maybe she could find a way to reconcile with her parents. She needed to make things right between them or losing Killian would be for nothing.

One night, Emma decided to visit the park. She hadn't been back since that night Killian had ended things between them. She wanted to feel closer to him, even though it hurt to think of him and recall the times they'd spent there together.

She spotted him sitting on the bench when she was a few yards away and stopped dead in her tracks. Her heart began to race at the sight of him. She stood frozen to her spot for a few long moments, her mind at war with her heart. Her mind told her to turn around and go home, that no good could come from seeing him. But her heart wanted nothing more than to see him again, to feel his body close to hers. Her heart won.

Slowly, she approached the bench. Somehow, he knew it was her just from the sound of her footsteps. She appeared before him and managed a smile.

"Hi, Killian," she said softly.

Killian smiled at her, his eyes sweeping across her face. He'd missed her beautiful face. He'd missed every last thing about her.

"Hello, love," he whispered.

They stared at each other awkwardly for a few long moments. Killian licked at his lips nervously. "Will you sit with me a little while?"

Emma took a deep breath and nodded. "Okay," she said.

She sat down beside him and felt her cheeks redden, as he turned his head to gaze at her.

"How are you?" he asked hesitantly.

Emma shrugged. "Keeping busy with work. Just trying to carry on without you."

"As am I. I've been busying myself with school and work." He paused and averted his gaze to the ground. "Have you spoken to your parents?"

Emma shook her head. "I don't expect to."

"You could call them, Emma. Take the first step," he said as he slowly reached over and covered her hand with his.

Emma sucked in a breath at his touch. She stared at his hand, her eyes focused on his wedding ring.

She ignored his comment. "I didn't think you'd still be wearing your wedding ring," she said.

Killian nodded, his eyes moving to the band. "Well, your parents still believe we're married, so I felt it best to leave it on in case I encountered them." He paused and added, swallowing hard, "Truthfully, I don't want to remove it, Emma. It's all I have left of you."

Emma's eyes roamed across his face. "Do you regret it? Do you regret facing your fears to be with me considering how things ended between us?"

Killian shook his head firmly. He brought his free hand up to caress her cheek. Emma's eyes fluttered closed, as she let out a sigh at his touch.

"I could never regret being with you, love. The happiest I have ever been was with you."

Emma smiled at him. "I'm glad to hear that."

"I do regret hurting you. I regret that we couldn't make it work." Killian took a deep breath. "Do you regret facing your fears and trusting me with your heart?"