Part 8/13

~Be patient.~

Three months passed after that night and they were the worst of Emma's life. She couldn't stop thinking about Killian. She tried throwing herself into work, but that actually made things even worse. It was where they first met, so everywhere she looked she saw him. Every time the bell sounded on the door when a customer came in, her head whipped in its direction, hoping it was him.

This morning, Emma was putting out muffins and Belle was organizing a new batch of books, when the bell rang on the door. Emma's head sprang up at the sound and her eyes darted hopefully to the door. Belle watched her face fall as a woman walked through the door.

With a heavy sigh, Belle walked over to her best friend. "You know, one of these days you're going to give yourself whiplash."

Emma stared at her for a long moment. "What?"

Belle gestured to the door. "Every time you hear that door open, your head goes flying in that direction, hoping it's him."

"That's not true," she said, lowering her gaze.

"You've been doing it for three months now, Emma. My neck's starting to hurt just watching you." She paused and then added. "Go see him."

"I can't."

"Why not?"

She met her eyes. "He needs time. He needs to work through this on his own. I don't want to push him."

"Sometimes people need a little push."

She shook her head. "I let him know I'd be waiting when he's ready."

"What if he's never ready?" Belle asked.

Emma swallowed hard, but was saved from responding by her cell phone ringing. It was her mother.

"Hi, Mom," she said.

"Hello, dear. As you know, your father and I are celebrating our 35th anniversary on Friday. We wanted to keep things very low-key. We were hoping you and Killian could join us for dinner. We haven't seen him since the wedding."

Emma sucked in a breath. Up until now, she had managed to make excuses for Killian not being with her when she visited them. She thought about calling him a thousand times and she knew he would come to see her parents anytime she asked, but she didn't want him to think she was pressuring him. She didn't see any way out this time though.

"Okay, Mom. Sure, we'll be there."

"Wonderful. We'll see you at 6:30 then."

"See you then," Emma said and hung up.

With a heavy sigh, she looked at Belle. Her best friend smiled. "Now you have to see him."

Emma took a deep breath and pressed a button on her phone to call him. He picked up on the second ring, his voice filled with surprise.

"Emma?"

"Hi, Killian. How are you?"

"I've been better," he said. "How are you, love?"

Emma smiled at his use of the word 'love'. She had missed hearing him call her that. She had missed hearing his voice. She'd missed everything about him.

"Same," she replied. "Listen, I need you."

Emma hoped the simple words conveyed more than her need for him to fulfill his obligation to her.

"What do you need?"

"It's my parents' 35th anniversary on Friday and they want us to come over for dinner. I've already made excuses a-..."