Part 5/13

~Whatever we become, it's up to her as much as me.~

Killian sat down next to Emma, so he could steer the boat. Emma could immediately tell he was experienced.

"Where did you learn how to sail?"

"My father," he said softly, his eyes focused on the water. "Before he left, he used to take my brother and I out on the water all the time."

Emma nodded. "Those must be some nice memories."

He bobbed his head. "It's all I have left of them both."

Emma paused for a moment, then said, "This is really peaceful."

"Aye, that it is. I have great affection for the water. It's always calmed me."

They slipped into a comfortable silence for a long time, just enjoying the sea breeze and the warm sun that was beginning to set. Emma watched the sky morph into a canvas of colors as the sun slipped below the horizon.

"It's beautiful," she whispered.

Killian's eyes scanned her face, as he replied softly, "Aye, beautiful."

A gust of wind suddenly swept around them and Emma shivered. Killian almost automatically put his arm around her shoulders, but froze, arm in mid-air, and looked down at her. She noticed his hesitancy and, without her permission, she felt her hand reach up and link their fingers. She pulled his arm around her and leaned into his warmth, as she placed her head on his shoulder.

Killian swallowed hard. Emma had just initiated physical contact with him. They were currently in a fairly intimate position, but there was no one around to see them. They looked very much like a genuine couple.

Killian licked at his lips, as Emma lifted her head and her eyes met his. He began to slowly lower his mouth down to hers. Emma closed her eyes, waiting for his lips to touch hers. But, just as their lips were about to meet, a seagull suddenly flew over them and defecated right on top of Killian's head.

He let out a little yelp and Emma's eyes flew open. She looked at his head, realizing what had just happened. Emma covered her mouth to stifle a laugh, as she finally broke contact with him. He patted at his head, before shaking it, and laughing.

The moment was undoubtedly ruined. Emma and Killian couldn't help but be disappointed. Emma knew it was a bad idea spending time with him, but she couldn't help herself. Now, she wanted nothing more than to kiss him and feel his arms around her again.

They quickly made their way back to the dock and Killian tied the boat to the pier.

He smiled at her. "I need to go take a shower. I guess our time together must be cut short."

Emma chewed on her lip nervously. "It doesn't have to be," she said softly.

Killian arched an eyebrow. "Really? I was certain you'd want to use this as an excuse to go home."

God help her, Emma didn't want her time with him to end. She was enjoying spending time with the real Killian Jones. No pretending. Just the two of them.

She shook her head, her eyes focused on his. "I don't want an excuse."

Killian tried to hide his joy at that statement. "Well, okay. Then...will you have dinner with me?"

Emma smiled. "I'd love to."

A grin spread across his lips, as he hooked his thumb in the general direction of his apartment. "Give me 30 minutes and meet me at Pepe's."

Emma's heart fluttered in her chest, as she watched him go. Pepe's was a pizzeria. He really was creating his vision of a perfect day and he wanted to spend it with her.