Chapter 5

Hermione walked slowly beside the group of Slytherins in the courtyard ,eyeing them suspiciously. Pansy, looking over at Hermione, giggled at her expression.

"Geez, relax.", she said.

Hermione loosened her shoulders, and turned to look at Pansy expectantly.

Nodding her approval Pansy said, "Better."

"So Hermione,", Zabini started.

Glaring at him, Hermione said stiffly, "Granger to you."

Sighing, Zabini acquiesced, "All right, Granger. I was just wondering…what's your favorite color?"

Pansy stared at the Slytherin boy, "Really Blaise? 'What's your favorite color?' Ice breaker of the year, that one is!"

"Hey!", Zabini responded angrily, "I'm just-"

"Wait!", Nott interrupted, "I've got a better one! What's your favorite animal? he said mockingly.

Pansy laughed, "No, how about 'What is your favorite species of owl'?"

"No, no even worse 'do you know anything about the mating rituals of owls?"

Both Pansy and Nott howled with laughter, while Hermione giggled quietly. Zabini sulked, walking behind the group, muttering angrily about how his friends were "bloody pricks".

"Green." Hermione stated suddenly.

Her three companions ceased their antics to look at her.

"My favorite color has always been green." She said simply.

Pansy's eyes popped, "Seriously? Well that's weird, because my favorite color has always been red."

With a smug look on his face Zabini gloated, "See, I knew it was a good question."

Smirking, Nott ducked around Hermione and collided with Zabini, knocking him to the ground.

"Here's another good question",Nott said looming over the boy on the ground, "Did that hurt?"

Zabini's long legs suddenly shot out and entangled themselves in Nott's,pulling him to the ground. Thus, the tussle evolved into a full blown brawl.

Turning away, Pansy looked at Hermione, "Boys!", she exclaimed, rolling her eyes.

Hermione nodded, completely understanding this behavior from observing Harry and Ron and other various Gryffindor boys. She suddenly felt her throat clench at the thought of them. Despite their hatred for her at the moment, she missed them terribly.

Noticing Hermione's change in demeanor, Pansy asked, "You okay?"

Hermione nodded and turned her attention back to the fight between Nott and Zabini. Their antics had drawn a crowd, most of whom observed the proceedings with looks of humor.

Scanning the crowd for familiar faces, Hermione spotted a flash of platinum blonde. She felt the familiar gut wrenching feeling that she always did when he showed up.

Shooting Pansy a warning glance, she motioned to leave. Having spotted Malfoy, Pansy nodded and briskly headed toward the edge of the courtyard, Hermione in her wake.

"Hermione Granger!", a voice called. His voice.

Wincing visibly, Hermione turned around and faced him.

He grinned, almost evilly "Not running away are you?"

Then his grin faded to a smirk, "We have so much to catch up on."

"Er could we do this somewhere else?", Hermione asked tentatively of Malfoy.

In response Malfoy swept into a dramatic bow, "Whatever my lady requires."