My Friend, The Moon

On the edge of the grassy hill, the moon looked so close. As if you could just jump off the edge and land on it. I've had to stop myself more then a few times from attempting that.

The grass was growing longer and longer each day, making stargazing a bit...scratchy. Laying in it used to be like laying on clouds, but now it was so long it intruded my vision and made it hard to see the stars. Although personally, I didn't really mind. As long as I could see the moon.

My aunt doesn't know I come up here, she would kill me if she did. And frankly, I didn't really care. I wasn't ever scared of her finding out. She could lock me in the cellar, and id still find a way out. The moon is like a magnet to me.

She thinks I'm depressed. Maybe it's because I don't like talking to other kids. If only she could understand, the moon is my friend. And it's all the company I'll ever need.

I've always felt different, like there was something wrong with me. I didn't like starting conversation, or watching television. I don't even like playing at the park- and that means I don't care for sports. And the biggest thing that really gets to my aunt, is that I don't care what I look like either.

She thought by making me wear the same dress everyday I would get tired and want to go shopping. Well, she was wrong. For a year now I've been wearing the same dark blue dress. Even one of the white buttons on the front was missing. It has a lacy white collar, and three white buttons down the front. There used to be four. It actually poofs out quite a bit, and stops just below my knees. It has long sleeves to, with those little white cuffs at the end.

In all honestly, I actually like it. It blends in with the night sky, making me feel more like I'm a part of it. One reason why I love this particular hill so much, was because no one else ever came up here. I'm actually surprised they don't, since it's so nice. Maybe they just don't like trudging up such a tall hill.

I always felt a strange connection to the moon. Like I was supposed to be there. I guess that would be impossible though. I couldn't even breath up there, and I know it's not as close as it seems.

I decided to call it a night, and head back down to my house. Carefully, I stepped down the hill. Last time I had slipped and tumbled all the way down. Almost causing another button to rip off. When I finally reached the bottom, I now faced a long stone path. It led to a gate, and behind the gate- my big empty home.
Besides from my aunt of course.

I hate living in a house so big. It has at least six big bedrooms. And only two people live there, counting me. My aunt was a bit of a rich snob, and refused to live anywhere else. I shouldn't complain though. If we were to move, I wouldn't see that hill ever again. I just wish we could at least have some sort of pet. To make it feel a little more full.

When I reached the silver gate, I hoisted myself over it, and leapt to the other side. It was actually really short, to the point where if I wanted to I could run and jump over it.

I once again walked a shorter rocky path to the front door, and quietly eased it open. It was pitch black, making the task to get to my room quietly harder then usual.

I stepped into the darkness, and gently shut the door. I put my hands out in front of me like a zombie and felt for the stairs. I made my way up them and when I reached the top, was happy to see light. I stood and stared into the long corridor. It actually wasn't creepy, just really huge. I couldn't even see my aunts bedroom door at the very end. The walls were a sandy color, and the floor was a dark wood.

The first door on the left, led to a walk in closet. It was really just filled with towels and my aunts many silk robes. A little farther from it on the right was one of our bathrooms. We had two more downstairs, and my aunt had her own.

Finally, the next room up was my own bedroom. Before my uncle died, my aunts husband, he painted and decorated the room just to my liking. I have to admit, it was gorgeous.

I opened up my door, and couldn't help but grin at the navy blue walls. Stars had been painted on them, and I mean thousands. It looked so real. And on the ceiling- which had also been painted, lay my favorite part. The moon.

The floor was the same dark wood as the hallway, and on the right wall stood my white vanity. It was a little dusty, that's how rarely I used it. Right behind my bed was a window, that looked out at the sky. My bed had light green covers, my aunts choice. And plain white pillows. At the end of my bed sat an empty white trunk. It used to have my toys in it, but I grew out of them and my aunt sold them.

Finally, on the left wall was my closet. All filled with copies of this exact dress. And black flats like the ones I was wearing. I approached my vanity, and slowly sat down at it. My hair was in a loose top bun, my aunt always made me wear it like that. Sometimes she made me braid it. She was always trying to get me to dye it a lighter color, but I loved my black hair.

I hated my eyes though. They were a light blue. And it was off putting to me. I would've loved a darker blue.

I glanced over at the picture of my uncle and me. He had black hair that stuck up everywhere, and dark brown eyes. In the picture, he was leaning over next to me, his tongue sticking out. He could never take a serious picture. He was wearing a suit in it, so I believed it was from some sort of wedding. I couldn't remember. I was only four in the photo.

I finally stood up, and fell backwards onto my bed. I hugged my knees against my chest, and stared out my window. "Don't go anywhere, moon." I whispered.