Concrete Children

"But aren't you supposed to take me to see Izar?" I asked with a skeptical look on my face.

Rocket glared at me through the crack of door. I was holding it open, preventing her from shutting it just yet. She was practically steaming as she struggled to lock me in, just like my aunt.

"He's not ready to see you." She said between her teeth. Her eyes were cold, and it sent a chill down my spine. I was about to give in when I decided I wasn't gonna let myself get locked up without any sort of explanation.

"Who's Izar anyways?" I replied, my tone as cold as her glare. This seemed to startle her a bit, but she quickly switched back to her angry look.

"The ruler of this moon." She said, pushing against the door even harder. I began to slide back a bit as she grew only inches away from shutting the door completely.

"Why does he want to see me? Is that really why you brought me here?" Despite my best efforts of talking as fast as I could, she still managed to slam and lock the door before I got my question out all the way.

I let go of the handle, my palms throbbing. I observed the room. It was cold and empty, everything in sight made of concrete. Was this some sort of giant prison cell? She had told me she would bring me to a nice place to wait in tell Izar had time to see me.

Then she locked me in here.

I was beginning to feel like Cinderella, without the happy ending. Or alice, without the wonder in land.

I leaned up against the concrete door, sliding down and pulling my knees up to my chest. I felt like crying, but I knew it wouldn't do me any good. Only make my eyes dry.

Rocket had seemed so sweet, kind. Almost like a...Mini Moon. Instead, she abandoned me. Locked me in a sad lonely room.

"You thought she was your friend, didn't you?" A familiar voice said. I looked around frantically for the servant boy from before, but saw nothing but shadows.

"She came to you, when you were in need..."
Another voice said. This time it sounded like a small girls. And she wasn't visible either.

"She took you up, up, and up." A little boy said solemnly. "Up to the moon."

"She told you she was taking you to Izar. " another male voice said. "And oh how he was expecting you."

"And then she locked you in here forever." They all spoke in unison. There voices echoed through the concrete room, making me feel dizzy.

"I escaped for a little. I met Izar and he gave me a job. He said if I did it, he would let me go home. He didn't believe I was a lost noom." The servant boy sobbed. "But she found me." His voice faded into the walls.

"Why would she lock me up? Why is she hiding me from...Izar?" I said, my voice trembling.

"Because Izar would take care of you. Izar would give you a job. Izar would unite you with your lost family." The female voice whispered.

"Every week Izar sends his adoptive daughter Rocket to find lost nooms. The ones who fell to earth during there birth. So Izar can return them to there real families." The servant boy said. "But rocket lies to Izar. She tells him she couldn't find any each time. When in reality she sends us here..." His voice once again faded.

"Why does she send us here?!" I yelled at the voices, sweat dripping from my forehead.

"Because she wants to keep us all to herself." They all replied together. Light suddenly shined down on the shadows, revealing four sad children hanging by chains. "So her father keeps sending her out to look for more."

I gasped at the sight, but quickly gathered myself. I needed all the information I could get. Slowly approaching the dying children, I swallowed down my fear. Prepared to talk to them.

"Why does she want her father to keep sending her out for more?"

"Attention. That's all. Everyday before he sends her out, he sits down with her and talks over the best safety routes and all the gear she'll need for that day's mission." The servant boy said.

"If she actually delivered us, he would cut down her work to every other day instead of everyday. Giving her less attention." The little boy with curly black hair said.

"She craves his attention. He only pays attention to her when he's going over plans. He's so busy with ruling the moon, he doesn't have time to really raise her himself. She feels neglected." The little girl squeaked out.

"You have to let Izar know what she's doing to us! What she's doing to you...and future nooms!" The servant boy said rather loudly. "The paper I gave you, it's a map."

Before I could ask anymore, the noom children disappeared back into the shadows.