Stones

It was now morning. The moon no where in sight, the sun laughing at me. My aunt was never here in the mornings. She always went out shopping with some of her so called friends.

I think she makes them up. She never seems to remember there names, and I've never once met any of them.

The sunlight poured through my window, forcing me to squint. In anger at the sun, I jerked myself up and grabbed one of my pillows. I threw it up against the window, blocking the Suns light. I knew it was still there though. Laughing at me.

I approached my vanity, searching for some sort of hair tie. My black hair lay against my back, and if my aunt saw it down she would kill me.

I spotted a hair tie under the vanity, and sighed in relief. I got on my hands and knees and attempted to crawl under my vanity. I stretched my arm as far as I could, about to grab it when I heard a strange noise.

I tried to sit up, but ended up banging my head on my vanity before I successfully stood up. Rubbing my head in the spot where I hit it, I looked around. Searching for anything that could've made such a sound.

Then I heard it again. It was like a loud tap. I quietly pulled on my shoes, and fixed my dress. Wondering if my aunt was nearby.

A few minutes passed, and I decided it was nothing. I was about to reach for the yellow hair tie again when I suddenly heard another loud thunk.

It sounded like it was coming from the window. I carefully climbed onto my bed, slowly approaching the window. I raised my hand to it, prepared to open it when a gray stone clanked against it.

In surprise, I jerked my hand away. My heart beating wildly. Was someone trying to break the window?

Once again I attempted to get closer to the window, slowly sliding it open. I peered out of it, looking for any sign of life.

Another stone flew up, hitting me square in the forehead. "Ouch!" I said, leaning away from the window and rubbing my forehead.

"Oh my Mars are you okay?" I heard a girl yell. I stumbled across my bed to the window, looking down.

Surely enough, there stood a girl with white hair. She had a brown helmet on, and her hair was so short I could barely see it. Her eyes were a dark blue, like the night. And she was wearing a gray coat-despite the summers heat. She had a long white skirt under it. And her shoes almost looked like moon boots. Like the kind astronauts would wear.

As I stared in awe, she gave me a puzzled look. Waving her hand, she screamed "you there?!"

I shook my head, lost in thought. I glanced behind me to make sure my door was shut, but when I turned around to reply I found the girl was gone. In her place, stood my aunt.

Had I been imagining things?

"Lalette you child! Are you listening to me?" She questioned in anger. "Open the front door!"

I nodded quickly and slammed the window shut. Sliding back off my bed, I ran towards the door. Then quickly remembered I forgot my hair tie. I could hear my aunt banging on the door, causing me to sweat.

Where had that hair tie been? I opened up my trunk, not there. I looked under the bed, not there.

As I pulled myself back out from under my bed, I caught glimpse of a rubber band. It would have to do.

I snatched it up quickly, and tied my hair into a bun. It was messy, but I was out of time.

I skidded towards my bedroom door, pushing it open. I ran down the hallway, almost slipping, and walked quickly down the stairs.

When I finally made it to the front door, my aunt was so furious her face was red.

"YOU STUPID-" she took in a deep breath. "I was boiling out there! You kept me out there on purpose!" She grabbed my collar, pulling me towards her and examining me.

Would she actually hurt me? What would she say about my hair? I swallowed, beginning to shake.

"Is that a rubber band?!" She stepped into the house, pushing me out.  "Get OUT!" She screamed, pointing out the door. I stared at her in shock. Was she really kicking me out?

Practically trembling, I took a few steps back. She slammed the door-and locked it.

I yanked the rubber band out of my hair, as I turned and ran towards the gate. The stones tried to trip me several times, but I made it without falling.

When I opened the gate, I gasped at who I saw.

"Heading to the hill?" A familiar voice asked.