Seven

"What. The. Hell." Ronan was the first to say anything.
Millicent got to her knees, then slowly to her feet.
"I don't know." Millicent said. "I didn't want to hit the ground."
"What?" Adam asked
"Jared. He was, he was holding me."
"Who is Jared?" Gansey cut in.
"My friend. I was back in Dublin."
"He saw you when you disappeared?"

"He'd have to be pretty blind not to see." Millicent snapped.

Ronan smiled his vicious smile.
"Jesus Christ." Gansey said
"How'd you do it?" Adam asked suddenly
"How'd I do what?"
"Come back. You've traveled between continents three times now. How'd you do it?"
Millicent thought for a moment, how had she done it?
All eyes were on Millicent.
"I...uh..."
A phone rang. Gansey pulled his out of his pocket and put it to his ear.
"Yes?" His eyes went to Millicent. "Yes." "Okay." "Okay we'll be there."
He hung up. "It was Maura. She wants us at the house."
********
Millicent sat on the same chair she'd sat on last time. Blue was gone again, but Gansey was here this time as well as Ronan and Adam. Gwenllian was gone too.
"We think we know what happened to you." Maura said to Millicent.
Without letting anyone else say anything Calla quickly jumped to the point. "You. My friend are a magical being."
"What?!" Millicent jumped up.
Calla reached out and grabbed Millicent's arm. "The first time you traveled by Ley Line was simply you being at the right place at the right time . Now you are connected to the Ley Line."
The three boys and Millicent all stared at Calla.
"It looks as though you can travel along the Ley Line."
"The Barns aren't on the Ley Line." Adam pointed out.
"She has the ability to pull the energy from the nearest Ley Line and travel along it."
"What?" Millicent gasped out.
"If you concentrate long enough you can travel to anywhere as long as it's on or near the Line."
"Whoa."
"Yes, now just don't over do your limit on traveling, your body can get worn out if you travel too many times." Maura advised.
Millicent nodded, unsure of what to do.
"Now you leave." Calla said, finally letting go of Millicent's arm.
"What?" Millicent asked she felt herself getting angry. "You can't just throw something like that at me and expect me to be okay with leaving right away."
"Your energy is too loud, it's very painful to be around." Calla said.
Millicent got up and stormed out of the house. As she reached Ronan's BMW she heard the door open and close behind her. 
Ronan ,Adam and Gansey followed her down to the car.
"Give me your phone." She demanded, holding her hand out palm up.
Gansey slid his phone out of his pocket and handed it to Millicent reluctantly.
She dialed Jared's numbed and put the phone to his ear.
"Hello?" He said, he sounded unsure.
"It's me."
"Millicent? What the hell? Where did you disappear to?"
"I know you and Clarissa saw everything that happened in the forest, but I need you and her to promise not to tell anyone." 
"But Millicent. You just disappeared into thin air!"
"I know. Now, I will agree to meet you somewhere and explain everything, but you have to promise not to tell anyone to come with you. If anyone else is there, I will never forgive you."
Ronan made an amused look, and whispered to Adam, who nodded in agreement.
"Okay. Okay." Jared said "where should we meet?"
                            *********

Millicent had decided that it would be best to try and take one of the boys with her. Just in case. Ronan had said, "Are you shitting me? I don't want to get stuck in the nether of the ley line."

"I'll do it." Adam said.

Millicent nodded. How was this supposed to work? She tried to think of how to travel on purpose. She knew where she wanted to go, so she envisioned it in her minds eye and she felt herself start to fade from Virginia. She quickly grabbed Adam's arm and felt the surge of the ley line moving them.

Millicent opened her eyes. Adam faded in beside her, one moment he wasn't there and the next he was. She let go of his arm. Jared was a few paces away, his back to them. Millicent cleared her throat, Jared turned to them. He appraised Adam wearily.

"Start asking questions, we can't stay long." She lied

"How did you do it?"

"I don't know, I just did."

"Who's he?" Jared looked to Adam.

"This is Adam. He lives where i'm staying." Millicent answered

"Where is that?"

"Virginia."

"In the States?!"

"Yes."

"When are you going to come home? As in, forever?" He asked

Millicent stood still, not sure how to answer. Now she could come home, but would she? Everything was different now, she wasn't really herself. In just a few days, her whole life took on a new meaning.

"I...I don't know."   She glanced to Adam.
"What will you tell your parents?"
"You mean, my dad? Mimi couldn't care less."
"Mil." Jared said softly, taking her hands in his.
"No. Don't do this to me." Millicent snapped, pulling her hands away.
Jared looked heartbroken.
"I don't know what I'm going to do. But I'll stay in Virginia for as long as they'll let me." She nodded at Adam.
Adam nodded back.
Jared chewed on the inside of his cheek. "Well, that's that then."
Millicent turned and took Adam's arm and then closed her eyes.
Then, as she felt herself start to fade out, a firm grip closed around her arm.