6

SHE was mine.

I looked beside me and Jessica was standing next to me. "She's beautiful." Jessica said. Tears started to well up in my eyes. I felt her arm wrap around me. I didn't try it stop them. Just let them fall.

Jesus Christ, I must be the biggest sook In the world right now.

I looked around her little bed. I find her record sheet. Unknown. Born 12-11-2013. Wait, unknown? A million ideas ran through my mind. What did it mean? I looked at Jessica. It was as though she could read my mind. "It says unknown because Darina died before she could say hello to her or her name."

An idea struck me like a lightning bolt. "That's it!" I yelled. "What is?" Jessica asked, very concerned. "Lilia." I said. Jessica seemed to understand. "Her name must be Lilia." I said. Jessica nodded. I addressed one of the nurses. "Excuse me, ma'am?" I asked her. "Yes?" She said.

"Um my daughter's record sheet says her name is unknown but I know what her name is. Can I please have a pen to change it?" I asked her. "Yes, certainly sir. I must say though this has never happened before. Most parents know what their going to name their children." She said.

"It's complicated."

I told her. She walked over to the front counter and leaned over to grab a marker. She walked back to me. "Here you are, Jamison." She said. I gave a stunned look. She just winked at me. Right, I thought to myself, I must be a fucking celebrity in this hospital. Hell, with all the things that have happened lately, I'm probably a celebrity in the whole fucking town! I walk back to Lilia's cot and bend down. I cross out unknown and write in my neatest handwriting, Lilia. I stand back up and look at my little girl. All that ran through my mind was mine.

Mine.

A man walked up to me and placed his hand on my shoulder. "Visiting hours are over mate." He said in a deep, gruff voice. He tilted his head towards the door. "Ok sir." I said, disappointed. I walk up to the lady that served me before. "Um miss? When are we allowed to take our kids home exactly?" I asked her. "Well it depends on which child is yours." She told me.

"Right um it's Lilia Lywood. When can I take her home with me?" I asked.

"I see. Who is the mother?" She asked.

"Darina Edwards."

I said. "Ok so Lilia can leave in about one to two weeks seeming that's she was born two months premature. So that will give you and Darina time to prepare unless you already have." She told me. "Um, no, no we aren't prepared."