Chapter Four

He looked pretty sketchy, Sam thought. But he liked his friends, he knew they wouldn't bring anyone bad to come see him, so he went up to them like he usually did.

"Hey Sam!" Ruby said, noticing him. "This is our big brother, Lucy! He's really cool."

"Oh... H-hi Lucy," Sam said.

The blonde teenager rolled his eyes. "My name's Lucifer," he said to Sam. "They call me Lucy to annoy me."

They walked to their usual spot on the pier to eat their candy and talk for a while, but then they decided to go to a new place today. Little Sammy hadn't seen very much of the town, and he wasn't sure he wanted to go to this place on the other side of it, but part of having friends meant compromising sometimes, right? He had faith in Meg and Ruby, anyway. They were his best friends; they wouldn't take him somewhere dangerous.

~*~

The cave sat on the shoreline. The cave was dark, dreadful, and dank. The mouth was vast and terrifying, with only a small bit along the edge fit to walk on. The rest was flooded.

"Are.... You guys sure we're supposed to be here....?" Little Sammy was almost shaking in fear.

"Oh yeah, we come here all the time! It's not like there's any better place in this stupid kingdom to house a rebellion....." Lucifer grinned.

"What does that mean?" Sam asked.

"It means we're going to overthrow the king, stupid!" Meg laughed.

"We're from The Southern Isles, and we're here to recruit townsfolk for war before their own land does." Ruby seemed very pleased with herself.

"But.... I'm not good at fighting....." Sam was extremely confused.

"But you are the king's son. People will follow you. Ruby let me know as soon as she found you, and I told her to win you over," Lucifer smiled, taking delight in crushing the little boy's dreams of friendship.

Sam began to cry, and as he did, heads of lettuce fell from the air. Not a single one of them was expecting it.