Chapter 2: Stranger

My eyes fluttered open. I jumped off my back into a crouch and nearly fell on the unstable overly padded bed. I looked at my surroundings sharply. It looked like a normal room, slightly old fashioned- well really old fashioned, more like Victorian style.

All the furniture was a dark solid mahogany. I found my self standing on a huge canopy bed over stuffed with dark red and cream cushions and a huge silk, soft red duvet. I bounced back onto the bed and sunk in to the softness of the materials. Next to the bed was a small desk with a matching foot stool. On the desk was an oversized mirror with all sorts of paraphernalia. A small area for reading next to the window with a large bookshelf behind with hundreds of books from all different authors and genres. The walls were a burgundy colour with basic patterns of light gold swirls. The floor was a thick soft carpet in a cream colour accompanied by a rug at the foot of the bed. Although the room had artificial lights it was light by candle light that emitted a warm glow throughout the room. Overall the room was extremely beautiful.

I’d been so preoccupied by the room I didn’t notice that someone was present with me until he spoke.

“You like it?” he asked curiously, his voice was thick and musical. “I do prefer these types of rooms rather than the modern styles some of the other rooms have” he continued. I just watched him in the shadow of the room my whole body tensed and guarded. The side of his lips pulled up into a breathtaking half-smile that looked more amused than threatening.

“Relax, nothings going to happen. I’m just here to greet you when you wake up. That and to clear that headache of yours…” My hand pulled to my head as I tried to massage out the massive headache I’d only just noticed. “That’s what I thought”, he said with a grin, walking slowly over to my bed. He was tall, lean and dressed in all black, black shoes, pants and a black un-tucked shirt with the top button undone. He looked casual with his tousled brown hair.

I jumped of the bed on to the opposite side, away from him. He stopped, looking at me with an amused expression, “What’s wrong?” He asked smoothly. “You can trust me you know, I won’t hurt you. I‘m just here to help you.” He soothed kindly. He took another step closer to me around the bed as I took another step back. His head bowed down to look at the floor. “How am I going to help if you won’t allow me to even come close to you?” His liquid chocolate brown eyes looked directly into mine.

“I- I’m sorry”, I murmured my voice hoarse from the long sleep I had. As I spoke he took a small nearly undetected step forward. My guilt made me stay where I was. He took another small step around the bed and another, calculating his steps carefully and purposefully obviously trying not to startle me. He moved until he was an arms distance away from me (He was really tall!). He smiled slightly showing a set of perfect white teeth as his arm slowly lifted towards me. The smooth delicate tips of his fingers brushed past my skin on my forehead exactly where the pain was. He closed his eyes and whispered some incoherent words. And just like that, the pain of my headache was gone! It was like it wasn’t even there to begin with!

He stepped back smiling, obviously proud of himself. “We’ve made progress!” He chimed cheerfully. I smiled sheepishly, my face burning to a scorching red. “Well, I think you should have some rest but if you want your free to roam around this part of the building.” He smiled politely and bowed, keeping eye contact with mine. Then paced across the room towards the door silently. Before he left his torso turned in my direction, “And if you need me I’ll be in my room. It’s down the corridor, shouldn’t be too hard to miss.” His lips pulled up to a breathtaking half a smile and then he left.

I panted heavily realising I was holding my breath and slid down onto the floor using the bed to hold the rest of me up. My heart slammed against my chest as I tried to slow my breathing to a steady rhythm. Whilst doing this I twined my fingers with the tassels that dangled from my bedding and daydreamed about when my life was normal, when I could smile and laugh with some sort of sanity. Everything here was weird, unusual and alienated. How was I supposed to fit in here with people I didn’t even know? They technically aren’t even human anymore…  But neither am I. What am I becoming? I don’t know just yet but in a few weeks time I’ll find out.